Musso - Bivona

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CarleenCaprice

Musso - Bivona

Postby CarleenCaprice » 27 Feb 2004, 23:47

Looking for Musso or Bivona Family from Trapani or Palermo, Sicily

pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby pastasugo » 17 Mar 2004, 05:55

Ibn

CarleenCaprice

Musso-Bivona

Postby CarleenCaprice » 17 Mar 2004, 10:44

My great grandmother was born in Gribellina, Sicily. Her name was Gaetana Bivona. She was born out of wedlock so we do not know is the Bivona name was her adopted name or her birth name. We do know that her biological father was a wealthy married man who did support her while she was growing up. Gaetana married a Pietro Musso in 1893. They were married in the town of Poggioreale and was destroyed in the 1968 earthquake. In 1895 there was many natives of Poggioreale that left for Louisiana, Texas and Kansas. My grandfather left Palermo on the ship Anacona on 11-21-1914 and arrived in Philadelphia, Pa on 12-5-1914. His name was Vincenzo Musso and his parents were Gaetana and Pietro Musso. The original Musso family was from Belmonte Mezzagno in the Province of Palermo, Sicily.

justin_b

Postby justin_b » 07 Apr 2004, 20:06

my name is justin bivona. My dad's name was Troy Bivona. I was wondering if any body has any info on my family tree.

CarleenCaprice

Bivona

Postby CarleenCaprice » 07 Apr 2004, 23:52

Justin - where in Italy was your Bivona family from? My great grandmother's last name was Bivona and she was from the Palermo vicinity. She came to Philadelphia, PA in 1914.

justin_b

Postby justin_b » 26 Apr 2004, 20:56

Far as I know he was from Sicily. I haven't talked to my dad since I was 10 and my mom doesn't know anything so I am kind of lost

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 26 Apr 2004, 23:56

Yes you are lost but you know more than you think. In Italy EVERYTHING is in the town of origin including your very own DNA!! Go to www.ellisisland.org and try to find your grandfather. You certainly know his first (in italian) and last name and if you do not find a relative who does. Peter

jfmusso

Re: Musso - Bivona

Postby jfmusso » 05 Jul 2005, 08:44

My grandfather, Frank Musso, was born in 1894 in the Province of Palermo. He emigrated to the U.S. at a young age (exactly when I haven't found out yet), arriving in New Orleans. He died in 1949 in Chicago, Illinois. I'm just starting to do some genealogical research and dna testing of myself, which will tell us something about my paternal (Musso) lineage. While my grandfather was, from a cultural perspective, Sicilian in every respect, the dna results thus far are indicating distant Arabic ancestry which likely arrived in Sicily during the Middle Ages.

At this point, I can't tell you anything more about Frank's family.

CarleenCaprice

Postby CarleenCaprice » 07 Jul 2005, 06:35

jfmusso - please check your private email for reply

SidgyBaby

Postby SidgyBaby » 13 Apr 2010, 00:54

Carleen, I am related to you. My grandmother was your father's sister, Angelina Musso Matticola. My father is Joe Matticola.

I googled and found your 2005 post looking for information on Gaetana Musso. There is some confusion on her maiden name. Your post said it was Bivona. However, I ran across a Gaetano Vivone on Ancestry.com, who was linked to Pietro Musso. So I'm not sure which name is correct. Or maybe one name is her birth name, and one is adoptive name? I joined Ancestry.com about a year ago, and have only recently been searching for Musso ancestors. Your post was very helpful!

I grew up in Bellmawr, and believe you did too. I think we visited your house once, when I was maybe 10 years old. Don't you have one or two brothers? Did you live on Sunnyside in Bellmawr? My husband is also from Bellmawr. His parents, and his brother, still live there. Their name is Wdzieczkowski. My husband Joe and I changed our name to Wells in the mid-eighties. For obvious reasons! Italian names, even long ones, sound so much better, don't they?

Hope you and your family are doing well.

P.S. My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall that my husband was on a Bellmawr bowling league with one of your brothers. Small world.

Mary Ellen Matticola Wells

Return to “Italian Genealogy”