The Marispini Family Needs Help!!! :(

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
spini937

The Marispini Family Needs Help!!! :(

Post by spini937 »

Hi everyone!
I've been creating a family tree for the Marispinis, and I've come so far...only to get stonewalled. Turns out the so called "stories" my Grandfather told me may have been true involving my Great-Great-Grandfather, Dominick Marispini, as a stowaway on a ship when he was 16. I guess that would explain why there are no immigration records of him. All I've found was a 1910 census record showing he was living in Pittsburgh in a boarding house. I've tried searching for Marispinis in Italy using an Italian White Pages, with no avail. Any help in finding some relatives and hopefully some history on the other side would be an amazing help that my family would be ever so grateful for.

Thank you!

Marc
misbris
Master
Master

Re: The Marispini Family Needs Help!!! :(

Post by misbris »

That name does not appear in Italy today. :cry: Do you have any idea of his town of origin?
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

www.paginebianche.it

Maraspini Elena
10151 Torino (TO) -
Corso Cincinnato, 173
tel:011 737351

Maraspini Grazia
34128 Trieste (TS) -
Rotonda Del Boschetto, 1
tel:040 567123

Maraspini Mario
34135 Trieste (TS) -
Via Dei Moreri, 7
tel:040 420995

Romaniello Maraspini Giuseppina
10151 Torino (TO) -
Viale Dei Mughetti, 6/A
tel:011 731353

also
cognome: Maraspin
spini937

Post by spini937 »

Boy, I wish I did. He died when my Great-Grandfather was young so my Grandfather only knew so much about him. Like I was saying I've been pretty much stonewalled at 1889, lol. I'm stuck at this point and am really hoping to find a little glimmer of hope. I'm wondering, would Maraspini be a derivitive of Marispini?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

spini937 wrote:Hi everyone!
I've been creating a family tree for the Marispinis, and I've come so far...only to get stonewalled. Turns out the so called "stories" my Grandfather told me may have been true involving my Great-Great-Grandfather, Dominick Marispini, as a stowaway on a ship when he was 16. I guess that would explain why there are no immigration records of him. All I've found was a 1910 census record showing he was living in Philadelphia in a boarding house. I've tried searching for Marispinis in Italy using an Italian White Pages, with no avail. Any help in finding some relatives and hopefully some history on the other side would be an amazing help that my family would be ever so grateful for.

Thank you!

Marc
Hello Marc!
Found the same surname spelling, but it was in Pittsburgh in 1910
Possible relation or a coincidence?
Thank you,
Valarie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Marc,

What info do you have?

I strongly suspect that neither Marispini nor Maraspini is the correct/original Italian spelling of your name. It is going to be difficult at best, impossible at worst, to move forward with your research before you resolve the spelling issue.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Curiously, an ancestry . com search turns up manifests for Romano Maraspin and Andrea Maraspin, both from Trieste, and a naturalization index record for Paul Maraspin of "Italy". Quite a surprise to me, and not transcription errors either - both manifests are typewritten.

Our favorite name-mapping tool shows that the name Maraspin exists today in small numbers in 20 comuni in northern and central Italy..
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Marc,

Where did your family settle? Did they stay in PA, or move elsewhere? Do you know Dominic's occupation, name of his wife, children? These clues might help us track him down. :wink:

Do the trees on Ancestry belong to you?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Googling Maraspin turns up numerous persons with this surname, many with Italian given names such as Luciano, Guido, Lorenzo, Stefano, Antonio, etc.

Quite curious.

I wonder if Maraspin is listed in Peter's book of Italian cognomi? :)
Carmine

Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Paul MARASPIN Self M Male W 64 ITA Sailor ITA ITA
Mary E. MARASPIN Wife M Female W 49 MA Keeping House MA NY
Fanny A. MARASPIN Dau S Female W 27 MA School Teacher ITA MA
Sarah E. MARASPIN Dau S Female W 22 MA Home ITA MA
Francis MARASPIN Son S Male W 13 MA School ITA MA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Census Place Barnstable, Barnstable, Massachusetts
Family History Library Film 1254519
NA Film Number T9-0519
Page Number 165A
www.familysearch.org

www.pilot.familysearch.org
www.ellisislandrecords.org
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Hi Folks MARASPINI asurname is Yugoslavian and was Italianized in Italy by way of Trieste.

I could not easily figure out the birth year for Dominick Maraspini (Domenico?) BUT I did come across a dominick Maraspini born January 14, 1941 in Stockton San Joaquim California and who died on March 16,2008. His social security number is 560-52-7552. He may very well be the Your Dominick Maraspini's son or grandson figuring that if he jumped ship at 16 and showed up in 1910 then his birth year may be 1880+-.

You can either go to FOIA and request his social security SS5 application for his parents names. If This 1941 born is a son of your Dominick then you will know right away or if he is the grandson then you can track back.

I will take a look at the Stockton California telephone directory and try to find where he is buried. =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:...

I will take a look at the Stockton California telephone directory and try to find where he is buried. =Peter=
Do you find burials in the telephone directory in California? Wow!!!!:lol:
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

PeterTimber wrote:...
Peter, this may help
rootweb has a list of cemeteries in
San Joaquin County
Valarie
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

The New England historical and genealogical register, Volume 114? - Page 3
New England Historic Genealogical Society - History - 1960

1850 Paul Maraspin, born In Rovigno, Istria, Austria-Hungary, in May 1814, ...
Davis Goodwin Maraspin attended the public schools of Malden; was graduated

google books
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »