100 yr old Marie Rose Reda

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
thewizard

100 yr old Marie Rose Reda

Postby thewizard » 20 Feb 2010, 04:13

My mom, Marie, is 100. Unfortunately she has dementia and can't tell us all we want to know about her family.Her dad, Frank Reda, had a farm in Calabria and came to NYC early in the 1900. Where do I start to fill in the tree.

juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 100 yr old Marie Rose Reda

Postby juanminbar » 20 Feb 2010, 04:40

get in touch with any living relatives and ask questions.
look on the back of old photos.
check out old documents.
her dad was a reda...in italy she was a reda even if she were married.

did she marry in italy or america? if in america go to your local court house and request her marriage certifcate.

have you look up ellis island for her arrival?

that's a start..........good luck.

john

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 20 Feb 2010, 08:16

thewizard wrote:My mom, Marie, is 100. Unfortunately she has dementia and can't tell us all we want to know about her family.Her dad, Frank Reda, had a farm in Calabria and came to NYC early in the 1900. Where do I start to fill in the tree.

Unfortunately, there are a substantial number of Francesco Reda's who entered the US in the late 1800's - early 1900's, so without more detail it will not be easy to find your grandfather.

Any clues you can provide will be helpful, for example, the approximate year of birth for Francesco.

Was your mother born in the US? If yes, then you should begin by ordering a "long form" copy of her US birth certificate. This will include her father's full name and mother's maiden name, their ages at time of the birth, and her parent's birthplace (although may simply say "Italy").

If your mother was born in Italy, you can try ordering a copy of her original social security application. It won't be as helpful as a long-form birth certificate, but it will show her parent's names as well as her own place of birth. See http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm for details.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Feb 2010, 23:25

In order to become more fluent in Italian genealogy may I suggest you go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/fr ... earch.html so that you will know what it means to send a request to Italy for birth,marriage and death reocrds usually dating back to 1809. This request information is found inthis website:
www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html and it is free of charge with italian form letters provided for you.

For curiousity you may wish to locate any realtives in the telepione directory www.paginebianche.it but you will need to know the town of origin in Italy since almost all records are in the place of your family's birth and residence. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”