birth certificate basic help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bonfiglio

birth certificate basic help

Postby bonfiglio » 21 Feb 2010, 15:28

Hello all, I am new to this forum but very excited to have found it as I want to research my Italian genealogy further, in particular the Bonfiglio (my surname), Rosati and Laterza surnames from the Philadelphia, PA, USA area.

I have exact birth dates and locations for my Great Grandfathers on my Italian side:

Antonio Bonfiglio 11 Oct 1889 Giampilieri, Messina, Sicily

Angelo Rosati 29 Mar 1896 Offida, Ascoli Piceno, Marche

I believe I have the addresses where to write to obtain the birth certificates from this site:

http://www.daddezio.com/genealogy/italian/records/

but how much money do I send?

Any helpful advice will be most appreciated!

Grazie!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: birth certificate basic help

Postby PeterTimber » 21 Feb 2010, 15:37

Just to be sure you know whats is available in your town of origin in Italy go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html

If you wish to double check on the addresss then go to UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE in Messina for Giampilieri since that town is "on the road to Messina" and falls in their jurisdiction. Go to www.tuttitalia.it/sicilia/38-messina which is a "frazione". Go to www.tuttitalia.it/marche/84-offida for the address for their respective Ufficio di Stato Civile. look under MUNICIPIO for each address

There is usually no charge for documents and when making the request always ask for the Extract (ESTRATTO =long form). Sometimes they charge for Certificato di stato di famiglia. =Peter=
~Peter~

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 21 Feb 2010, 17:06

It's also a good idea, and a courtesy, to include an International Reply Coupon, which you can get at your local PO for $2.10. It will help to cover the return postage.

T.

bonfiglio

Postby bonfiglio » 21 Feb 2010, 17:51

thanks for the help!

should i include a self addressed envelope as well?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 21 Feb 2010, 17:57

It helps to include a self addressed envelope and by the way when you get to the Messina website you can see giampilieri as a "frazione" below. =Peter=
~Peter~

bonfiglio

Postby bonfiglio » 21 Feb 2010, 18:02

Yes, thank you Peter! I now have the exact addresses from your links as to where to sent the request.

I'm noticing some sites suggest sending a $5.00 money order, but are you telling me that this is not required?

Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lili2 » 29 May 2010, 23:49

Hi Bonfiglio,
How did your search go?
Were you able to get info from the civil registration office?
Where did you write to?
I hope to search the B, M, D records for Giampilieri when I finish Fiumefreddo. Part of my family came from Giampilieri.
Regards, Lili
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.

bonfiglio

Postby bonfiglio » 30 May 2010, 00:38

Hi Lili. believe it or not, i just got to send the letter out recently as i had a difficult time acquiring an International Reply Coupon... i'll keep you posted though!

i wrote to the following address as Giampilieri falls under Messina jurisdiction:

Comune di Messina
Piazza Unione Europea
98122 Messina ME

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 30 May 2010, 02:31

Normally there are only certain documents that you will be billed for in advance so just send your inquiry with a return envelope and NO MONEY unless requested by invoice after submission. =Peter=
~Peter~

Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lili2 » 30 May 2010, 07:53

OK Thanks!

Wish you well with your search.

Lili
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.

bonfiglio

Postby bonfiglio » 30 May 2010, 12:21

PeterTimber wrote:Normally there is only certain documents that you will be billed for in advance so just send your inquiry with a retgurn envelope and NO MONEY unless requested by invoice after submission. =Peter=

oh good, that's what I did... Thank you :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”