Calosio/Collosero

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gigiphx

Calosio/Collosero

Postby gigiphx » 22 Feb 2010, 03:16

I am desperately seeking information on my great grandfather who was supposedly an orphan from the Torino area or Courgne. His name was Michael Calosio, however, his naturalization papers say his name was Matosi Collosero. He married into the Guistat Family of Salto and all of my records begin upon their marriage. I am trying to find out more about him before he came to the states. He was a coal miner in Perry County Illinois and had his first viable child with Mary Guistat in 1908. He later had a tavern in Joliet, IL.

Any clues or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Gianna

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Calosio/Collosero

Postby suanj » 22 Feb 2010, 04:56

gigiphx wrote:I am desperately seeking information on my great grandfather who was supposedly an orphan from the Torino area or Courgne. His name was Michael Calosio, however, his naturalization papers say his name was Matosi Collosero. He married into the Guistat Family of Salto and all of my records begin upon their marriage. I am trying to find out more about him before he came to the states. He was a coal miner in Perry County Illinois and had his first viable child with Mary Guistat in 1908. He later had a tavern in Joliet, IL.

Gianna

Hi Gianna, seeming that your Michael came in USA around 1904/5...

1910 census:
Name: Mike Calosio
Age in 1910: 28
Estimated birth year: abt 1882
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Mary
Home in 1910: Pinckneyville Ward 2, Perry, Illinois
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1905
Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Mike Calosio
Mary Calosio
Richard Calosio
Anna Calosio
1/12

1920 census:
Name: Michael Calosio
Home in 1920: Joliet Ward 7, Will, Illinois

Estimated birth year: abt 1882
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1904
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Image: 1049

Michael Calosio
Mary Calosio
Richard Calosio
Anna Calosio

1930 census:

Name: Michael Calosie
Home in 1930: Joliet, Will, Illinois
View Map

Estimated birth year: abt 1881

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:
View image

Michael Calosie
Mary Calosie
Richard Calosie
Ann Calosie

WWII draft registration card:

Name: Mike Colosio
Birth Date: 3 Apr 1880
Birth Place:
Residence: Joliet, Illinois
Roll: 30955_165747
I no found the WWI draft registration card, but with similar surname and same birthdate
WWI draft registration card:
Name: John Colesie
County: St Clair
State: Illinois
Birth Date: 3 Apr 1880
FHL Roll Number: 1614579
DraftBoard: 1
also born in Italy but no name town of birth... I know not if this record is abt your ancestor, but the birth date is the same...
on the naturalization it are some other clues? by death record he result born in Cuorgnè town..
Regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

gigiphx

Postby gigiphx » 23 Feb 2010, 07:01

Thank you very much for your help. I have some of this information, but not all, so it is very much appreciated.
Apparently he (Mike) was in an orphanage in/near Torino and came to the US to work in the coal mines. I wonder if you know of a way to track records of immigration to the US? He may have gone through Port Havre in France, but am not sure as nome of the Ellis Island documents have matching first names. There is a Giovanni and a Guieseppe Calosio.

The naturalization/citizenship papers I have from the US were isued in 1906 in Sept. under the name Matosi Collosero, witnessed by his father-in-law, August Gustat (Guistat), the father of my great grandmother Mary.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Warmest regards and blessings,
Gianna

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 23 Feb 2010, 15:05

Hi,
it is hard to find the ship's manifest... I searched so much... why the name on naturalization is so misspelled?
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 23 Feb 2010, 15:44

Of all the names above, only Colosio seems to exist in modern Italy, almost entirely in the Lombardia region.

You say you have naturalization papers? Which documents do you have? Later period papers (in particular, the Declaration of Intent) have a section which states the exact date of arrival into the US, the name of the ship, and his name as it appears on the passenger manifest as well as the name he naturalized under (not always the same). They should also give his exact date and place of birth.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 23 Feb 2010, 17:25

by marriage record it could be possible know more abt Mike??
PERRY COUNTY MARRIAGES

CALOSIO Mike GUSTAT Mary June 16 1906 C/38

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

rwhobbs

Postby rwhobbs » 15 Jan 2011, 05:31

gigiphx wrote:I am desperately seeking information on my great grandfather who was supposedly an orphan from the Torino area or Courgne. His name was Michael Calosio, however, his naturalization papers say his name was Matosi Collosero. He married into the Guistat Family of Salto and all of my records begin upon their marriage. I am trying to find out more about him before he came to the states. He was a coal miner in Perry County Illinois and had his first viable child with Mary Guistat in 1908. He later had a tavern in Joliet, IL.

Gianna
[quote] Hello Gianna, I don't know if we are related or not but I grew up in Morris and my mothers maiden name was guistat and of course my uncles and grandparents. I do know that my grandfather james Guistat grew up in South Wilmington and he did correspond to relatives in Italy before he passed away. I can contact my mother, who lives in Phoenix now to see fi she has any information on what town they were from.

RevReav

Postby RevReav » 04 Mar 2011, 21:17

I am on my way to Salto/Cuorgne to see if I can find Gustat (Giustat) relatives.

My Gustats went through Pickneyville, IL and were coal miners, too. I don't know of any Mary's in my line, though.

Scott

Return to “Italian Genealogy”