Im confused...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Im confused...

Postby DeFilippis78 » 28 Feb 2010, 15:42

My concern is a woman using 2 husbands names through out her life.

Alicia

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Im confused...

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Feb 2010, 16:09

Perhaps a sign of respect for her (probably, in my opinion) deceased first husband?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 28 Feb 2010, 16:14

I considered that. I was thinking maybe it was out of honor. My only concern is that means her first husband died in his late 20s early 30s, which I guess is possible. The other issue is my grandparents lived in Jersey City and there does not seem to be any record of their marriage in the typical Italian churches back then according to Diocese of Newark archives. But its possible they could have married somewhere else. I guess the bottom line is, could she have used my grandfathers last name in everything , even legal papers, if they werent married?

Alicia

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 28 Feb 2010, 19:27

As far as I know you can use any name you like as long as it is not for fraudulent purposes.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

carinthiangirl
Veteran
Veteran

Postby carinthiangirl » 28 Feb 2010, 19:32

wasn´t there a long time that italians could not divorce?
i know as wondered about that when was a child.
just read on this german site that it was since 1970 possible to divorce - not before that time.
http://diepresse.com/home/panorama/welt/350024/index.do
"Die Scheidung war in Italien 1970 gegen den entschiedenen Widerstand der Kirche eingeführt worden und mit einer Volksabstimmung bestätigt"

so she was married all the time with her 1st husband in Italy. never divorced.

found now also an english site:
http://www.justlanded.com/english/Italy ... e-in-Italy

Divorce in Italy
"Divorce has been possible in Italy only since 1970. You can be divorced in Italy if your marriage took place there or if one of a couple is Italian or a resident in the country. "

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 28 Feb 2010, 19:35

Well Im not sure if there was divorce. Her first husband could have died or left her. I just find it odd that she married my grandfather and had children and was married for about 15 years but still used her first husbands name along with my grandfathers right up until her death.

Alicia

carinthiangirl
Veteran
Veteran

Postby carinthiangirl » 28 Feb 2010, 19:41

now, when they married in Italy she could not divorce her italian marriage.
also as living in the states. think it would have been a problem in the states to divorce a marriage made in Italy, because the italian office would not have allowed. :(
otherwise also the possibility that her 1st husband died, but that she taked both husband´s names is very uncommon. i also never heared about this. :roll:

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 28 Feb 2010, 19:50

delete

Return to “Italian Genealogy”