Stigliano - Sarubbi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jsarubb

Stigliano - Sarubbi

Postby jsarubb » 02 Mar 2010, 21:19

My Grandfather, Peter Sarubbi, immigrated to the U.S. in 1898 from Stigliano, Italy. He married Caterina Delpriore, also from Stigliano, in New York in 1900. Two brothers and two sisters also immigrated to the U.S. in the early 1900s. They lived in Yonkers, New York. I believe that his father, Giuseppe Sarubbi, and his mother, Camela Sarubbi, remained in Stigliano, although Giuseppe traveled to the U.S. several times.

I want to learn more about my Great Grandfather, Great Grandmother, Grandmother and my Italian ancestors/ history. I am not sure how to go about researching this information. I would appreciate any suggestions or help.

Thank you

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Stigliano - Sarubbi

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Mar 2010, 21:28

www.tuttitalia.it/basilicata/62-stigliano is the website for the Comune (town)and MUNICIPIO listed with 19 SARRUBI telephone susbscribers at www.paginebianche.it (name in first line and Stigliano in second line and cllick Cerca)

In order to assist you further in obtaining specific documents free of charge- Birth,marriages or deaths then go to this website:
www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html Mail requests to address under MUNICIPIO to UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE

You can also obtain microfilm records from the Mormon library nearest your home at www.familysearch.org for about $5.00 going back to 1809 from 1910. There is a book Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson that is a companion for the microfilms.

=Peter=
~Peter~

Romano1970
Master
Master

Postby Romano1970 » 02 Mar 2010, 22:06

I have relatives from Stigliano as well.

Salvatore Daronzio. Stigliano , Basilicatta , Italia

Any chance of a relation??
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 02 Mar 2010, 22:19

Was one of the brothers of your grandfather named Pancrazio Sarubbi? I have in my database a Giuseppe Sarubbi born about 1852 married to a Carmela Amato, born in Stigliano abt 1854. She died in Stigliano on Aug 6, 1890 (record #141). She was the daughter of Pancrazio Amato and Maria Lucia Miranda. I have two children for Giuseppe Sarubbi and Carmela Amato. Pancrazio Sarubbi b. in Stigliano on Jan 1, 1880 and Pietro Sarubbi (have no date for him).

jsarubb

Postby jsarubb » 02 Mar 2010, 23:50

Thank you for the information.

maestra36: Yes, Pancrazio was his brother. My Grandfather had two brothers and two sisters:

Pancrazio Sarubbi b. 1 January 1880
Felix Sarubbi b. 30 November 1885
Anna (Sarubbi) Giannantonio b. unk
Lucia (Sarubbi) Petrocelli b. 9 January 1887

I believe that Peter was born in July 1877. Do you have any additional information on my family? Thank you so much!

Romano1970: I do not know if Salvatore Daronzio is related to the Sarubbi's

Thank you.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 03 Mar 2010, 00:58

do you have your Pietro Sarubbi on a passenger list? I see a Pietro b. abt 1876 but his destination was to a sister by the name of Teresa. I don't see that you have listed a Teresa among his siblings. I also have in my database a Pietro Sarubbi b. abt 1826 who was married to a Lucia Fornabaio. I know they had a daughter named Maria Antonia Sarubbi who was born abt 1874. She was married to a Nicolantonio Baione. It is possible that she was a younger sister of your Giuseppe Sarubbi but I don't have proof in my database. The Sarubbi surname came into my family through marriage, and I wasn't actually researching the surname at the time I did my research of the Stigliano microfilmed records. I do know though that your Pietro Sarubbi's brother Pancrazio was named for Carmela Amato's father who was a Pancrazio and that the Amato family was from the town of Tricarico. Anyway, I think that Giuseppe's father could have been a Pietro, but I wouldn't want to attach your ancestry to the wrong people.

jsarubb

Postby jsarubb » 03 Mar 2010, 01:25

I had some difficulty finding Pietro Sarubbi on a passenger list because the name was misspelled. It was spelled Sarubba. According to the Castle Garden Web Page, Pietro Sarubba (Passenger ID 602586050093) landed in New York City on 11 Sept 1898 (Ellis Island Web Page says 25 August 1898). He was a resident of Stigliano, Italy. He was 22 when he arrived in New York. His occupation was listed as Mason. Ship: Werra. I am pretty sure that Pietro Sarubba (Sarubbi) was my grandfather.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 03 Mar 2010, 02:06

if you look at the original manifest on www.ellisislandrecords.org for Pietro Sarubba it shows his destination to a sister named Teresa that you do not list among this siblings. On the Ellis Island site, when you search the name, the manifest that comes up is the wrong one. You have to go back until the page number appears as 387. He is on line 1 of the manifest and you can see that it says his destination was to a sister named Teresa.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 03 Mar 2010, 02:08

you can also search through a website called stevemorse.org. You can type in just the first name of the last name and the town name of Stigliano and see what else comes up under the Sarubbi surname. You can also do a sound search of both the town name and surname on that website at the same time.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 03 Mar 2010, 02:09

I meant to type first letter of the last name

jsarubb

Postby jsarubb » 03 Mar 2010, 12:05

Thank you for the information. My Grandfather did settle in Yonkers. I do not believe that he had a sister named Teresa. The manifest is hard to read. It may have been another relative.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 04 Mar 2010, 03:04

Do you know if your Sarubbi family was related to any other Sarubbi families that lived in Yonkers? I'm not talking about siblings of your Pietro and their families?

By the way, when Carmela Amato died at the age of 37, she and her husband Giuseppe Sarubbi were living at 11 via Solferino in Stigliano.

jsarubb

Postby jsarubb » 04 Mar 2010, 12:58

I believe that other Sarubbi families lived in Yonkers, but I do not have any information on them. I believe that Father Michael Sarubbi of the Church of Saint Anthony of Yonkers was a relative, but I am not sure of the relationship.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 04 Mar 2010, 13:28

There are several Sarubbi in Yonkers. There first names are Michele and Paul Sarubbi. There are 10 others without immediate numbers in Yonkers as well. If needs be since I reside in Yonkers I am willing to call inyour behalf should this become necessary.

www.numberway.com for the listings. Just put inthe sarubbi name Yonkers, and NY. =Peter=
~Peter~

jsarubb

Postby jsarubb » 04 Mar 2010, 13:47

Thank you Peter. I very much appreciate your help and your offer to call on my behalf. I will let you know if I need you to do this for me.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”