DiCenzo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chgogirl62

DiCenzo

Postby chgogirl62 » 09 Mar 2010, 04:52

I am researching my grandfather's family. His name was John L DiCenzo and he was born in Toluca, Illinois, USA. His parents names were Venturino DiCenzo and Carmella DiCenzo. They were from Carapelle Calvisio in Abruzzi, Italy. They came to Toluca to work in the coal mines.
Their first names may have been written wrong upon their arrival in the states. They arrived before my grandpa was born in 1913. They were first cousins and according to what my grandpa was told, they had to get special dispensation from the catholic church to marry.

I'm not too familiar with how the different areas of Italy work, especially what municipality to write to for records on the marriage, or on their family history. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Amy

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: DiCenzo

Postby PeterTimber » 09 Mar 2010, 05:26

You should familiarize yourself with Italian genealogy so that you will know what to tell us so we can help you all the more.

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/fr ... earch.html

and theget back to us with the correct spelling and the town of origin and we will get you back to 1800 in short order. =Peter=
~Peter~

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 09 Mar 2010, 14:35

I'm not too familiar with how the different areas of Italy work, especially what municipality to write to for records on the marriage, or on their family history. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Since you already know the names of your great grandparents and their comune of origin, I would suggest that you start with the Family History Library (FHL) films that can be rented and viewed at the Family History Centers (FHC) operated by the Church of Latter Day Saints (LDS). Births, marriages, marriage banns, marriage documents, deaths, and miscellaneous documents, 1809-1910, from the civil registration of Carapelle Calvisio, L'Aquila, Italy, have been filmed by the LDS. Go to their website at www.familysearch.org (Library>LibrayCatalog>PlaceSearch) to see the film details. You can also find the nearest FHC at that website. The records are, of course, in Italian. There are two great books that help in understanding these records: Genealogist's Guide To Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson and Italian Genealogical Records by Trafford Cole. With a little luck, you'll find your GGP's marriage record; keep in mind that Italian women retain their birth name throughout their life. If they were married after 1910, then you still should be able to find their birth records, which might contain marginalia about their marriage. Good Luck!
John Armellino

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 09 Mar 2010, 15:10

They came to Toluca to work in the coal mines.

Amy,

I don't know if already have these U.S. records, in the doubt I'll post them for you...
From Ancestry.com this is the 1920 census:

1920 United States Federal Census
about Vinturo Desconzo
Name: Vinturo Desconzo
[Vinturo Dezcenzo]
Home in 1920: Bennington, Marshall, Illinois
Estimated birth year: abt 1873
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Carmilla
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1899
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 869
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Vinturo Desconzo 47 head, born in Italy, occupation merchant - Soft-drink
Carmilla Desconzo 41 wife, born in Italy, immigr. year unknown
Jannary Desconzo 7 son, born in IL
Lena Desconzo 6 daughter, born in IL

Image:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxDanPr

this document is the military enlistmen for the first World War for Venturino (from this you can see his birth date):

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Vendarino Dicenzi
Name: Vendarino Dicenzi
County: Marshall
State: Illinois
Birth Date: 29 May 1873
FHL Roll Number: 1614348
DraftBoard: 0
Nearest relative his wife Carmela

Image:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsCfxb0

and possible 1930 census:

1930 United States Federal Census
about Venduro Dicenso
Name: Venduro Dicenso
Home in 1930: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Carmella

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Venduro Dicenso 55 head, born in IT, married at the age of 29, immigr. year 1900, occupation labourer in a foundry
Carmella Dicenso 50 wife, born in IT, married at the age of 24, immigr. year 1913
Lawrence Dicenso 16 son, born in IL
Anna Dicenso 15 daughter, born in IL
John Santagrosa 24 boarder

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVbdtaS

so, this could be the first arrival in the U.S. for Venturino:

from Ellisisland.org:

Ventura Di Censo, age 25, single, from Carapelle going to NYC (note he was travelling with a Di Censo Marcantonio)

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0030

Laura :D

Return to “Italian Genealogy”