Fontana/Pagano Sferracavallo, District of Palermo, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Fontana/Pagano Sferracavallo, District of Palermo, Sicily

Postby agagliani » 12 Mar 2010, 23:41

My great (2) grandmother, Francesca (Fontana) LoGrasso, wife of Gasparre LoGrasso of Sferracavallo, m. 22 September 1872.

My great (3) grandparents: Antonino Fontana married Grazia Pagano in 20 September 1835 at San Cristina Gela, Sicily. He was the son of Stefano and Rosa (Messina) Fontana. Her parents appear to be Pietro Pagano and Teresa (Lynch) Pagano. Not absolutely certain. Name shown as Linch and Lync'hi.

My grandmother, who was born in Sicily, used to say that she had some Irish ancestry. I believe this Teresa (Lynch) Pagano could be an Irish ancestor.

Where would I go to find the parents of Teresa (Lynch) Pagano? I know that some Lynch families from Galway, Ireland settled in Southern France. They were involved in the wine trade. On line I found reference to a Lynchi or Linchi family of Magenta, Italy that derive from an Edward Lynch who came from Galway to Italy around 1800. No further information found.
agagliani

Re: Fontana/Pagano Sferracavallo, District of Palermo, Sicil

Postby PeterTimber » 13 Mar 2010, 00:16

TRY to google either "LYNCHI and/or LINCHI SURNAME GENEALOGY MAGENTA ITALY" as a title.

If you have other titles to put in try them as well.

I checked out the www.familysearch.org website and came up woth 3 linchi SURNAMES 1656 IN THE nETHERLANDS, 1815 Bedfofr England and 1806 in Gibralter. Numerous others in Brazil and South America.

There is a paying website which may prove helpful www.findmypast.com
coming out of England. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby agagliani » 18 Mar 2010, 15:40

Upon further examination of the Marriage index, I found an Antonino Fontana married to a Grazia Paeres, son of Salvatore and Francesca (Graziano) Paeres. I think the "Paeres" may be a mis-translation of "Pagano." Maybe the writing looked like Paeres? If anyone has access to birth records for Sferracavallo and can look up a Grazia Pagano b. there around 1815 (give or take a couple of years), this could help clarify this matter for me.

Given the names Francesca and Salvatore appear among the children of Antonino and Grazia (Pagano) Fontana and the names Pietro and Teresa do not, I am leaning toward Grazia's parents being Salvatore Pagano and Francesca Graziano.
agagliani

Postby agagliani » 11 Oct 2010, 22:09

Confirmed: The parents of Grazia (Pagano) Fontana were Salvatore Pagano and Francesca Graziano. Anybody have information on the Pagano and Graziano families?
agagliani

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy