Giuseppe Pasqualino Calamari - NYC/ Essex, CT

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CalamariGirl

Giuseppe Pasqualino Calamari - NYC/ Essex, CT

Postby CalamariGirl » 19 Mar 2010, 18:34

I am trying to find out more information about my Step-great great Grandfather's immigration, naturalization and his 2 children from his previous marriage.

His name was Giuseppe Pasqualino Calamari. I have his birth, 3rd marriage and death records. he was born in Piacenza, ER on April 13, 1857 to Francesca Maria Giovanna Cervini and Domenico Calamari. (He married 3 times. The first time in 1882 to Domenica Calamari, then in 1884 to Domenica Cervini. They had 2 children Henry (born Sept 1885) and Marie/Mamie (born in 1888). They immigrated to the US around 1890 and settled in NYC. At some point Domenica died. Giuseppe remarried Luigia Casella Calamari in April of 1893. They had 8 children. He died in Essex, CT in 1913.

I can't locate his ship manifest for the life of me (I have an ancestry account) nor can I figure out when he was naturalized. On the 1900 Census he was listed as Papers Filed. They lived in Manhattan. in 1910 he is listed as Naturalized. They still lived in Manhattan. The City Clerk (31 Chambers st. 7th Fl) told me no record was found as did NARA. I requested NARA do another search. I also sent a letter to the USCIS Genealogy section. I'm waiting to hear back.

I have Henry Calamari's death certificate from Essex, CT. He never married. He lived with his step-mother Luigia until very late in life. I can't find any information on Maria other than she may have married a Domenico Iaria according to one of her half-sister's obituaries. I did find a Domenico Iaria and Maria Calamari marriage at the Municipal Archives but it lists Maria's mother as Margherite not Domenica. So I'm not sure if that is her or not. I don't know if she was born in NYC or in Italy. There are conflicting places of birth (Italy/NYC) on the census records. There is a Maria Iaria that died in 1958, but I don't want to pay to get a death record that might or might not be hers.

Short story boring: if you have any information on Giuseppe Pasqualino Calamari or his 2 children with Domenica Cervini Calamari OR advice on how to find Giuseppe's naturalization file that exists SOMEWHERE please let me know. Many thanks in advance!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Giuseppe Pasqualino Calamari - NYC/ Essex, CT

Postby Tessa78 » 19 Mar 2010, 19:23

Welcome to the forum :-)

We will do what we can to help.
Since you have an Ancestry subscription, I'm guessing you found this manifest. Names are abbreviated on the manifest. Since it is an early manifest (1889) there is not much information.

SS La Bretagne, arriving NY 29 September 1889.
Lines 616 - 620
Gppe (Giuseppe) Calamari 32, farmer, from Italy
Dca (Domenica), 28
Daughter Andrea 10
Son Alessandro (Henry?) 2 or 3
Daughter Maria 1

It states that their destination was Chicago.

T.

CalamariGirl

Postby CalamariGirl » 19 Mar 2010, 19:34

Hello Tessa,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I saw this manifest. thank you. It might be them. I didn't think it was similar enough, but that probably is them. You are right. This means that in addition to Domenica's death certificate there is also a death certificate for Andrea somewhere between 1889 - 1900 that i haven't come across yet as she is not listed on the 1900 census...I will look the next time I am at the Municipal Archives.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 19 Mar 2010, 19:43

Here's a puzzle to pursue...
At the free site italiangen.org there is a death record listed for Andrea Calamari - died 25 August 1897 in Manhattan (cerrt. #26303) However, the age is listed as 43y.

Taking another look at the manifest, the age for Andrea may be something other than 10, if you look at the way the number one is written on other lines. But I can't really make it out. I thought it was a 10, so I assumed it was a daughter. May be another relative.

T.

CalamariGirl

Postby CalamariGirl » 19 Mar 2010, 19:51

yes, I have that record on my list of those to look at the next time I am at the archives. Perhaps the age was transcribed wrong on italiangen.org or it is wrong on the manifest. There is also a Domenica Calamari listed as age 1 that died in 1892. Maybe that is a transcription error as well. I haven't found any other Domenica's that have died during that time so maybe she went by another name OR maybe she died before the left Italy.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 20 Mar 2010, 01:02

There is a manifest from 1908 SS La Lorraine arriving NY on 15 August.
It lists Domenica Cervini and Giulia Cervini, going to Andrea Calamari. (brother in law to Giulia, uncle to Domenica) This is clearer on the Detained Passengers list below.

T.

CalamariGirl

Postby CalamariGirl » 22 Mar 2010, 16:38

Hello Tessa,

Thanks for your reply. Domenica was no longer living in 1908. There is nobody in my family named Andrea that immigrated to the US as far as I know. There were a lot of Calamari/Cervini/Casella immigrants during that time. All from the same area.

I appreciate your replies.
Rebecca

Return to “Italian Genealogy”