Mele Family from Avellino, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Talamini

Mele Family from Avellino, Italy

Post by Talamini »

Ciao! I am new to the site. This is my third post for my third grandparent’s side of the family, who are from Avellino, Italy. I am trying to research my family tree as far back as possible in Avellino, Italy. This is what I think I know:

Guissepina Nazzaro was the mother of Carmine Mele
Carmine Mele’s siblings:
Antonio Mele , Costantino Mele (1875-1955), Guiseppina Mele Cipoletta and Concetta Mele, Giovannina Mele and Filomena Mele

Rose Pelagreno Loffredo daughter was:
Anotoinette Loffredo Mele (1871-1921) she married Carmine Mele (1867-1942) children (6):
They came to the USA and lived in Paterson, New Jersey.
Carmella Melinda Mele Barbarisi (1901) Italy
Philip Mele (1904) Italy
Joseph Mele (1899) Italy
Rose Mele Ramella, Paterson, NJ, (1908) twin, my grandmother
Mary Mele Boselly, Paterson, NJ , (1908) twin
Alfredo Mele, (1909) Paterson, NJ

I have searched http://records.passaiccountynj.org/pres ... ilsPB.aspx and Ancestry.

Your time and help is appreciated!

Regards :D
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Mele Family from Avellino, Italy

Post by aliza24 »

Hi Talamini,

Welcome to the site! There are some great people here and this site can be very useful. I hope you don't mind if I give you a few suggestions though- it might help you to get better responses.

1. Narrow down what you're looking for. Try to be as specific as you can, and only ask one question at a time about one line at a time- preferably just about one person (or one couple).

Example: Instead of "I'm trying to get my tree back as far as possible" you might say "I'm looking for his ship record" or the "looking for birth / marriage record in Italy".

2. Once you've narrowed down one specific thing you're looking for, be sure to include any information that you feel is relevant to that search.

Examples: If it's a ship record you're looking for- try to guess at the year they came over, age upon arrival, where they went to, etc.

If it's an Italian birth record you want- approximate the year of birth there, name of town, etc.

I hope this helps. Try to re-post and hopefully we'll get you some helpful responses.

Take care,

Aliza
JoeVenezia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeVenezia »

Hello Talamini,

Part of my family is from the Avellino area (Atripalda) and the civil/town records are very complete and orderly. As I understand you are interested in tracing the history back in Avellino. The following link shows you the microfilm numbers for the various years/facts:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... eno=409603

These can be ordered through your local family history/learning center and then viewed there:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp

Is is somewhat tedious but once you get the hang of it you should be able to spot your family and the documents very quickly. E-mail me if you have any trouble, you can also write to the town offices but this is timely and you have to write letters, wait for the response, etc.

Good Luck!

Ciao,
Joe
Surnames: Venezia (Atripalda), Ciotti (Roccagorga), Di Giacomo (Polla), Tassi (Ceccano)
Talamini

Post by Talamini »

Dear Aliza & Joe,
Thank you for your help :)
I do need to reseach and order the films at a mormon research center. This is my best lead. First, I need to practice reading documents.
Thanks you both again for your time and help.
Regards :)
lindammb

Post by lindammb »

Hi
I have information on the Mele Family for you! I am Linda Mele-Bender and my father was also a Carmine Matthew Mele , son of Joseph Mele ( d 1977), born in Paterson, NJ on Jan. 31, 1927( died Oct 8, 1996). Joseph (my grandfather was married to Jean Palunti of NY City when Carmine was born. I believe she dies in childbirth and Joseph marries Giovannina Polombo ( d 1981) by the time Carmine is baptized on 4/10/27. Joseph and Jane (as she was called) had 2 more children Delores (Sole) and Eileen (Whitney) who both live in Belle Mead, NJ. All of the family you speak of I know.
My father Carmine was married to Geraldine Windham of Ga. They had six children:
Linda Marie (BTW Melinda was my godmother)
Douglas Alfred (twin with David)
David Philip
Jane Francis ( d 1986)
Naomi Ophelia (Doychek)
James Patrick
Please let me know what other information I can give to you and if I don't know I will give you my Aunt Delores address and she will know.

Sincerely,

Linda
Talamini

Post by Talamini »

Hi Cousin Linda!
Thank you for the information! I didn't have a lot of this.
I'm Dorothy's daughter. I would love to talk :)
I'll call Delores and tell her to give you my number.
Regards,
Elisabeth
lindammb

Post by lindammb »

Well, Hi Cousin to you!

Gosh, I remember seeing movies my dad took at your mother's engagement party..At least I think it was an engagement party. Of course I remember your mom very well and always remember how beautiful she was. How are your parents..well I hope. I have lost both my parents now..it is so sad, they both died too young.
I don't see or hear from my aunts very often since I live in Georgia the last 10 years now. My mom passed away suddenly the week before I moved down. Two of my daughters and my step-son live down here also and between them I have 8 grandchildren in GA; 2 in WA state and 4 in NJ; 14 altogether, keeps me busy!
I look forward to talking with you!

Linda
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

now that's a happy ending...........GOD BLESS

J
Talamini

Post by Talamini »

Linda,
Can't wait to talk :)
I sent a message to your Facebook account. It contains my phone number.
Elisabeth
Talamini

Post by Talamini »

Dear J,

Your are right!
This is a genealogy high :)

Regards,
Talamini