A question for the experts

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

A question for the experts

Postby aliza24 » 21 Mar 2010, 15:21

I know that we have a lot of brilliant, experienced people on here and I'd really value your input on something.

Here's the question: If you were developing a comprehensive, A-Z Italian Genealogy course, (for anyone seriously interested in Italian genealogy, not just professionals), and you had to separate the course into 4 sections, which sections would you choose?

What 4 areas do you feel are crucial to mastering Italian genealogy?

NOTE: This would primarily be for the research of records in ITALY.

I greatly appreciate any input you can give on this!

PS- Even if you haven't been researching a long time, I'd like your opinion too!

Thank you in advance for any help!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: A question for the experts

Postby johnnyonthespot » 21 Mar 2010, 17:16

One thought comes immediately to mind: pre-unification records vs. post-unification records with "unification" meaning the point at which the many individual "kingdoms" unified into a single country, modern Italy (1860'ish).

At about the same time frame, the change from primarily church-maintained records to primarily government-maintained records.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 21 Mar 2010, 21:15

From a Non-Expert:

1. Civil Records
2. Church Records
3. Miscellaneous Records (Census, Notary, Land, Etc.)
4. FHL Films
John Armellino

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 21 Mar 2010, 21:31

I am another non-expert, but you cannot begin to search in Italy until you know th comune of residence so I say you start with American records, manifests, censuses, SS, and death records. then go to John's list.

mozzie
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mozzie » 21 Mar 2010, 21:41

From another non expert,

Locations of where records are kept in areas that have changed countries, like Trieste area- pre WW1, post WW1, Pre and post WW2 etc.

David

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 22 Mar 2010, 07:40

misbris wrote:I am another non-expert, but you cannot begin to search in Italy until you know th comune of residence so I say you start with American records, manifests, censuses, SS, and death records. then go to John's list.

I totally agree with Misbris :D ... being in Italy I know that the most of the Comuni have tons of requests with incorrect on no datas (sometimes just names with no years or incorrect informations) unanswered .. :(
So, begin with all the U.S. records....

Laura

aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Postby aliza24 » 22 Mar 2010, 15:07

Thank you all for your input!!

I welcome any and all comments on this.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”