Italians in Canada- Toronto. Any general tips?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Italians in Canada- Toronto. Any general tips?

Postby aliza24 » 22 Mar 2010, 18:51

I've been researching for years in the US and Italy but would like to know more about researching in Canada.

I was told that my great-grandfather's brothers went to Toronto, Canada. I've been so busy working on other lines that I haven't really looked into this yet. Any advice would be appreciated. This is the line that I know the least about!

Here's what I know of the brothers:

1. Patsy (Pasquale) D'ANGELO
b. about 10 Feb. 1900 (per WW1 draft) in Pettorano Sul Gizio, L'Aquila, Abruzzo.

2. Morris (Mariano) D'ANGELO
b. 21 Feb. 1895 (per WW1 draft) in Pettorano Sul Gizio
D. 4 Dec. 1989. (per SS death rec., no address listed just says "US consulate, Canada")
Morris never married.

-Both were living in Delaware, USA before going to Canada.
-Patsy must have moved AFTER 1917-18 because I have draft reg's for him in Delaware but I think Morris came much later he did.
- Parents: Micheal / Michele (Michelangelo) and Benigna CIPRIANI, they also came to Delaware- don't know if they went to Canada or not.
- Brother Joseph (Giuseppe), My GGF, stayed behind in De.

Which records should I start with?

PS- I have a lot of the US records as well as the parents' records from Italy- what's bugging me is where did these guys end up in Canada?
And if the parents followed them? The parents trail seems to go cold after around WW1.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”