Searching for records of the Castrovinci and Patella family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Searching for records of the Castrovinci and Patella family

Postby siskojnash » 22 Mar 2010, 23:11

I am working on completing a family tree for my fiancee. At current, I am focusing on 4 individuals and their families.

I am searching for families of the two brothers, Filippo and Giuseppe Castrovinci, and the two sisters, Carmela and Marianna Patella. I would like to find out if there are other brothers or sisters of theirs, parents, etc. They would have been in Palermo in the 1890s, and the girls were born there. They emigrated to New York City. I think I saw their records in Ellis Island's passenger lists.

Nothing is known of Giuseppe (Joseph) and Marianna's family. It would be wonderful to be able to fill in this part of the family tree. Philip was born on October 3, 1873 and died June 10, 1956. Carmela was born on May 6, 1881 and died April 2, 1955. I don't know if the brothers were born in Palermo, Sicily or not. According to a family story, both sisters were. I found a Giuseppe Castrovinci born in 1877, the same year as Filippo. But that information didn't mention Filippo as a member of that family.

Through my research, I found out that a Nunzio Castrovinci had married Anna M Patella at roughly the same time period as the two brothers probably would have married the two sisters. It seems very likely that Nunzio is a relative. I just have no idea how. Does anyone know if the name Rosalia could be changed to Sarah for an American name?

I found a birth record in Palermo for Filippo and Carmela for August 1901. It could be a baby they lost. But the birth date is the same as the one listed in a family tree for Sarah Castrovinci, their next child. I'm not sure whether Rosalia could actually be Sarah. Thank you very much for your time.

aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Searching for records of the Castrovinci and Patella fam

Postby aliza24 » 25 Mar 2010, 15:54

Hello and welcome to the forum.

That's wonderful that you're writing a story for your fiancee.

We would love to help you but maybe you could boil this post down a bit- just to the essential info. that we need to know and what, specifically, you are looking for?

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Postby siskojnash » 25 Mar 2010, 20:08

Basically, I am trying to search for any family of Philip (Filippo) Castrovinci (1873-1956) and Carmela Patella, his wife (1881-1955). His brother, Joseph (Giuseppe) Castrovinci married her sister, Marianna Patella. All I really know is that they were in Palermo together while the girls were growing up and all emigrated to New York City. The two families grew apart, and they moved away without telling Philip and Carmela. Yet, they were close enough that they happened to meet at a local market. So they couldn't have moved that far, at least not then. I found out that a Nunzio Castrovinci married Anna M. Patella in Palermo in the 1890s, which must have been around the time Philip and Carmela would have married. I suspect they're also relatives. One thing I thought was weird was that Philip and Carmela were in the Census for 1910 and 1930. I wasn't having any luck finding Joseph and Marianna. I would have thought they should be found in one of them.

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 28 Mar 2010, 23:40

Marianna's manifest. Can you confirm? Also check lines 4 and 5.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0001

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Postby siskojnash » 29 Mar 2010, 00:27

Yes, I think that would be her. My fiancee and I had come across this when we checked the ellis island site. The address didn't mean anything to her family, though. At least not the people I had the chance to ask. The lines 4 and 5 talk about their brother Nunzio, which seems like it would probably be the one I found in Palermo's records who married Anna M Patella. It seems likely that they are also related, although I have no idea how. I don't know if Nunzio could have been a brother of Philip (Filippo) and Joseph (Giuseppe). When I searched later, I came across a Marianna Castrovinci in the records also. So maybe she made the trip twice. I don't know. According to a family story, Marianna's mother never saw her daughters again after they left for America. So far, that story has seemed to be completely fact, as far as the details it has. The only slight problem is that in the story, the girls were said to be quite young and that the brothers Philip and Joseph had to wait for Carmela and Marianna to come of age before marrying them. They met when Carmela was about 12, according to the story. This Marianna would have been 19. This could be one place where the story is mistaken. No one seems to know about Joseph and Marianna, after all. I can put the story in a response, if you think it would give ideas.

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 29 Mar 2010, 00:38

It is very possible that 3 brothers married 3 sisters. Italian women travelled under their maiden names. It looks like the family came from the town of Frazzano in the province of Messina.

Do you have ship's manifests for all the others?

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Postby siskojnash » 29 Mar 2010, 00:53

I've occasionally checked the ellis island site. I haven't tried to order copies of the manifests yet. I just saw Filippo on there. He apparently arrived on the Sicilia out of Naples on November 20, 1902.

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Postby siskojnash » 08 Apr 2010, 15:43

I am also searching for information on these families: Zingales, Franconeri, Cusimano, and Failla. I keep finding others as I go along, since I'm trying to make the family tree as complete as possible.

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 08 Apr 2010, 16:14

You might be better off starting a new thread with these new names so things don't get too confusing donw the line. It also should give more specific info about these individuals as you did with the others.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”