Having trouble locating my ancsetors

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Having trouble locating my ancsetors

Postby cvwalters » 26 Mar 2010, 23:41

Hello - I am having trouble getting my ancestors into the US from Italy. I can find them in the census records, but getting them from Italy to Utica, NY is becoming impossible. Any suggestions on different spellings of surnames would be appreciated.

I have accounted for my Great Granfather Santo Graziano and his sister Carmela Graziano Defazio. Also I have accounted for my Great Grandmother's sister Caterina Coriale Bifano and her son Vittorio (who I believed died before 1910 census. He is not listed with the family). I am having trouble locationg the following:

Great-grandma's family
Maria Coriale (Great-grandma) She married Santo Graziano in about 1909 in Utica, NY and they had 4 daughters one which is my grandma.
Her parents: Antonio and Vittoria Coriale
Her Brothers: Guisipe and Gianvanni Coriale (I believe Gianvanni went back to italy)
Antonio come in about 1895, the rest came in about1900. They are from Scandale, Calabria.

Also I am having more trouble locating my grandfather's family. There is a name change forom ther 1910 census to the 1920 census. The family is listed as the Veditti's in 1910 with Luigi as the head, Angela M. his wife and sons, NIcholas, James and Sam (who is my grandpa). Acording to the 1910 census Luigi Arivved in 1905 and Amgela and Nicholas arrived in 1907. IN the 1920 census the family is listed as Vedete, which is the name still being used to day. I am wondering if any one has an idea of a variation of this surname could be. I am not sure what region of italy they are from.

Everyone lived in Utica, NY.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

Christine

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors

Postby maestra36 » 27 Mar 2010, 02:26

There is a Luigi Videtta date of arrival on April 26, 1905 aboard the SS Celtic which departed from Naples. His last place of residence was the town of Pignola. His destination was to Utica, NY. He is on line 29 of the manifest.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 27 Mar 2010, 02:38

Also there is an Angela Videtta and sister Victoria Videtta, ages 9 and 11, who arrived on April 21, 1905 from the Port of Naples. Their last residence was also the town of Pignola. They were traveling with their 35 year old mother named Maria Albano, but their destination was to her husband, Vincenzo Videtta who was living in Brooklyn, NY. They were aboard the SS Gallia, lines 11 through 13. Possibly this family is connected to yours somehow.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 27 Mar 2010, 05:26

cvwalters wrote:Hello - I am having trouble getting my ancestors into the US from Italy. I can find them in the census records, but getting them from Italy to Utica, NY is becoming impossible. Any suggestions on different spellings of surnames would be appreciated.

I have accounted for my Great Granfather Santo Graziano and his sister Carmela Graziano Defazio. Also I have accounted for my Great Grandmother's sister Caterina Coriale Bifano and her son Vittorio (who I believed died before 1910 census. He is not listed with the family). I am having trouble locationg the following:

Great-grandma's family
Maria Coriale (Great-grandma) She married Santo Graziano in about 1909 in Utica, NY and they had 4 daughters one which is my grandma.
Her parents: Antonio and Vittoria Coriale
Her Brothers: Guisipe and Gianvanni Coriale (I believe Gianvanni went back to italy)
Antonio come in about 1895, the rest came in about1900. They are from Scandale, Calabria.

Also I am having more trouble locating my grandfather's family. There is a name change forom ther 1910 census to the 1920 census. The family is listed as the Veditti's in 1910 with Luigi as the head, Angela M. his wife and sons, NIcholas, James and Sam (who is my grandpa). Acording to the 1910 census Luigi Arivved in 1905 and Amgela and Nicholas arrived in 1907. IN the 1920 census the family is listed as Vedete, which is the name still being used to day. I am wondering if any one has an idea of a variation of this surname could be. I am not sure what region of italy they are from.

Everyone lived in Utica, NY.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

Christine

hi Christine, Antonio Coriale came in USA in 1894, he declared the arrival date in yhe passport:
U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
about Antonio Coriale
Name: Antonio Coriale
Birth Date: 28 Apr 1855
Birth Place: Scaudale
Residence: NY
Passport Issue Date: 16 Nov 1910
Passport Includes a Photo: N
Source: Passport Applications, January 2, 1906 - March 31, 1925 (M1490)

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/2167 ... epass1.jpg

the family in 1910 census:
1910 United States Federal Census
about Antonie Coriale
Name: Antonie Coriale
[Antonio Coriale]
Age in 1910: 54
Estimated birth year: abt 1856
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Vittoria
Home in 1910: Utica Ward 8, Oneida, New York
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1895
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Antonie Coriale 54
Vittoria Coriale 50
Catherina Bifano 30
Angelo Bifano 29
Giuseppe Bifano 4
Santo Graziano 21
Maria Graziano 17

Giovanni B Coriale 28

regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 27 Mar 2010, 11:48

Maria Coriale's brother Giambattista (combination of Gianni Battista):

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0023

Going to Utica to join father Antonio, previously in US 1899-1904, last residence Scandale. Possible wife Elisabetta Tallarico on line below.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 27 Mar 2010, 12:25

Vittoria Scarriglia and children Caterina, Giuseppe, Maria and Giovanni Coriale going to Utica to join husband/father Antonio Coriale. This is Caterina's first trip. The manifest you found with son Vittorio states she was previously in the US.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0012

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 27 Mar 2010, 12:49

Christine,

On the fhe following site, you can access pdf images of a bunch of Utica newspaper articles on your families:

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Do exact phrase searches for your ancestors, i. e.,

Antonio Coriale
Santo Graziano
Maria Graziano
Vittoria Coriale
Louis Vedete
Sam Vedete
etc.

Biff

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 27 Mar 2010, 13:07

Antonio Coriale 1895 manifest:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0394

Biff

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 27 Mar 2010, 16:39

maestra36's manifest find for Luigi Videtta:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0029

Biff

cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Postby cvwalters » 27 Mar 2010, 21:25

Thank you everyone so very much! I am completely overwhelmed and don't know what to look at first! This information is fantastic and has allowed me a new insight to the family tree!

Maestra36, I have been wondering over the Luigi Videtta manifest, and I more and more convinced his is ggf Louis Vedete. My mom is having a bit of an idenity crisis with her maiden name though.

Suanj- thank you for the passport link. It never occured to me to check that source for information.

Biff - You have placed many of the puzzle pieces for me. I made the connection when I found Caterina and Carmela's manifests, that married females would come in by their maiden names, but not having that info on Vittoria was making my search harder. I did notice that Caterina had come over once before. The wedsite for fultonhistory is awesome and I have been able to find out so much about my family!

Is there a trick for using the Ellis Island website and searching any of you have? I usualy rely on dumb luck of clicking on anything I see. Infact one of the Manifests I had seen before but didn't notice someithing, Biff had pionted out. Sometimes a second set of eyes is needed!

Thanks again for all the help! I am so appreciative of it. I am off it find Angela Montenurro or Montemurro know. She is Luigi's wife and I think this time around with all the new info I have I should be able to find her.

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 27 Mar 2010, 21:52

cvwalters wrote:I am off it find Angela Montenurro or Montemurro know. She is Luigi's wife and I think this time around with all the new info I have I should be able to find her.

I noticed on the 1910 "Veditti" census that Luigi's mother Mary was living with them and that she also stated her arrival year as 1907, the same year as Angela and Nicola, so it's possible that all three travelled together. Not sure why but I haven't had any luck locating Angela Montemurro or other variations with son Nicola. Perhaps, Angela and Nicola were somehow listed under mother-in-law Maria's name.

Also, I've had no luck locating an obituary for mother Mary on the Fulton site..

Biff

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 27 Mar 2010, 22:00

I always search the Ellis Island site through the following website:

www.stevemorse.org

If you go to the third option down, you can even type in a town name and only the first letter of a first name and a first letter of a last name. You can even just type in the name of the town and get a list of everyone from the town. You can do all kinds of sound searches as well. If you go to the missing manifest option, you can type in the date of the arrival from the passenger list info and print a copy of the manifest directly from there once you locate it. You can no longer print the manifest from the Ellis Island website.

cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Postby cvwalters » 27 Mar 2010, 22:59

Biff -

I was searching for Angela for the longest time. Infact no Obit for her on the Fulton site either. There is an Angela Vedete on the Fulton site, but that is her granddaughter. Here is the interesting part. In 1910 she was Angela M. Veditti and than in 1920 and 1930 census she become Mary Vedete. I do know she died in 1943, that I got from Luigi's obit.
So who knows. And I fairly certain of her maiden name. I have a copy of my grandparents marriage license and it is listed as Montemurro, but the obit for Louis "Luigi" looks to be Montenurro. Thanks! I will let you know if I find anything.

Maestra - I will check that site out. I have had trouble navigating Ellis island in the past. Thanks!

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 27 Mar 2010, 23:17

http://www.italiangen.org/NYCDeathSearch.asp

NYC death record index. You can do a sound search of the last name. The only one that comes up for a 1943 death is an Antoinette Vittetta on page 2. She was age 70. Died in Kings County which is Brooklyn.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 27 Mar 2010, 23:31

Sorry when you mentioned the Fulton Site I was thinking Brooklyn, but I forgot that there are newspapers on there from Utica as well and you are researching ancestors in Utica.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”