Writing for Military Records Sicily- Enna or Caltanissetta?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Writing for Military Records Sicily- Enna or Caltanissetta?

Postby Bette » 27 Mar 2010, 13:39

Carmelo Spadaro, my grandmother's brother, was born in 1883 in Valguarnera Caropepe, Sicily. At this time the town of Valguarnera was in the Province of Caltanissetta. When he became of "age" to register for the Italian military, Valguarnera was still in the Province of Caltanissetta. But, later in the 1920's boundaries were changed and Valguarnera is now in the Province of Enna. So, which province should I write to for the military records? If anyone could confirm the address, that would be great!
Thank you.
Bette

Researching SPADARO and INTERLICCHIA in Valguarnera Caropepe, Enna, Sicily

juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Writing for Military Records Sicily- Enna or Caltanisset

Postby juanminbar » 27 Mar 2010, 18:21

hi bette, it would seem to me that a letter to the province of ENNA requesting assistance may be helpful, also the same letter to the comune.

in my case dual letters, one to the province and one to the comune helped. i received an answer first from the province and they also sent a copy of my letter to the comune. i think it was the ''nudge'' that produced results.

good luck, john a. trovato

Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Bette » 27 Mar 2010, 22:05

Thank you, John. I appreciate your help.
Bette

Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Bette » 12 May 2010, 23:44

Just want to say that I wrote to the Archivio di Stato di Enna on 13 aprile and received a response this week with the military record of Carmelo Spadaro. Unfortunately he was not accepted in the military, but at least I know his height, color of his eyes, color of his hair, color of his complexion and his profession. :D
So, I am quite pleased!!!
Thank you to this site for providing all the information I needed to accomplish this!

Bette

Return to “Italian Genealogy”