Records in Sicily: Where to start?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BeckyBruno

Records in Sicily: Where to start?

Postby BeckyBruno » 27 Mar 2010, 19:55

If I have gathered my info together (date of birth, birth place, mother & father etc) where exactly would I "start" looking for more information on my family? ... and IF i find any; will I be out of luck, because I wont be able to read it?

btw: Biff, Thank God for dates!!! LOL :lol:
It's all about family!!
~ Sempre Famiglia ~

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Records in Sicily: Where to start?

Postby maestra36 » 27 Mar 2010, 20:23

1. I would search the internet to be sure no one has previously researched your surname from your town
2. I would check the www.familysearch.org website-official website of the Mormon Church to see if there are any family members listed in the IGI, the pedigree file, or the ancestral file.
3. check to see if your town has an official website with an email address for its anagrafe or registry office and then email the town for the information you need. I would only request one or two things at a time and the email should be written in Italian
4. you could also write letters to the anagrafe office in your town. Those would also have to be in Italian. A good book is by Trafford Cole which has sample letters to write if you don't know how to write in Italian
5. if you are not afraid to try to rent microfilm for your Sicilian town (by the way, what surnames are you searching, and from what town), you could then see if there are microfilmed records for your town that you can get by yourself. The ease of the research will depend on the town. I have done microfilmed research in a number of Sicilian towns. Some have better records than others.
6. There are always people on this website who will help you with translations, if you get your hands on the records.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 27 Mar 2010, 20:24

Trafford Cole's book -Italian Genealogical Records-you can read excerpts of this book on google.com

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 27 Mar 2010, 20:27

on www.familysearch.org, you can see if there are microfilmed records for your town by going to second category at top which is "search records," then down to the option which says library catalog, then do a place search, type in town name in top box, and word Italy in the bottom box. Then you can click on civil registration and get a list of microfilms available for your town

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 27 Mar 2010, 20:48

Dear Becky Bruno this below cited website consolidates all the necessary information, in order and serquential, so that you can familiarize yourself with Italian Genealogy and refine your research now and a later time when you may wish to expand your genealogical horizons.
The information alrerady provided you is excellent and valuable but this website I am furnishing you ties it all up for you in a neat bundle.

www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/fr ... earch.html

=Peter=
~Peter~

BeckyBruno

Postby BeckyBruno » 27 Mar 2010, 21:26

Thank You so much for the information. I didnt realize just how frustrating AND addicting genealogy can be...
It's all about family!!

~ Sempre Famiglia ~

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 27 Mar 2010, 23:37

GENEALOGY: Where you confuse the dead and irritate the living.

=Peter=
~Peter~

carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Postby carmine1917 » 02 Apr 2010, 00:37

LOL Peter!

carmine1917
Elite
Elite