Surnames Chiancazzo/i and Biancacci from Stigliano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
maestra36
Master
Master

Surnames Chiancazzo/i and Biancacci from Stigliano

Postby maestra36 » 29 Mar 2010, 21:30

I am trying to find out if these two surnames were ever one and the same in the town of Stigliano, Matera Province and simply were interchanged in the records of the 1700s and early 1800s. I have 4 different women from the town with 4 different first names, Teresa, Lucia, Irena, and Angela. In each instance, records were found with each woman mentioned in which the woman had the Chiancazzo/i surname in one record and the Biancacci surname in a different record, yet their dates of death matched in each instance leading me to believe that Teresa Biancacci was the same person as Teresa Chiancazzi/o, that Lucia Biancacci was the same person as Lucia Chiancazzo, etc. The handwriting was clear in the records to the point that the beginning letters were always recognizable as either a Chi or a Bi.

I own the book called Our Italian Surnames by Joseph G Fucilla but neither that, nor continual searching on the internet, as well as writing to the provincial library, has yielded me an answer to my puzzle. I have these women in my family tree database with the two names and a back slash between them as follows: Teresa Chiancazzi/Biancacci.

Does anyone know if, during the period of time I mentioned, the surname Chiancazzi, for example, may have died out and been replaced by the surname Biancacc,i or if there was a dialectal reason why the surname may have changed in spelling if, in fact, it did?

Michael31
Master
Master

Re: Surnames Chiancazzo/i and Biancacci from Stigliano

Postby Michael31 » 31 Mar 2010, 10:32

www.paginebianche.it
cognome: Biancaccio
dove: 75018 Stigliano (MT)
75010 San Mauro Forte (MT)

Chiancazzo
75010 Calciano (MT)

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 31 Mar 2010, 11:44

While I appreciate your reply, the current Italian white pages do not solve a mystery put forth by the state civil records in a single town for the early 1800s and further back in time. I am trying to find out if the two surnames were ever one and the same and, if the town clerks simply varied the spelling of a single surname when they recorded it in the civil records of the town of Stigliano. In those days, people were illiterate and gave information orally to the town officials who then wrote the information down and created the written records. I know that both surnames appear in the early records for the town, but that the surname, Chiancazzo/i eventually died out in the state civil records for the town of Stigliano. It was just odd that, in the cases of these four women, in one record their last name would be recorded as Chiancazzo and in other records their last name would be recorded as Biancacci. From other information in each record, I could conclude that Teresa Biancacci was the same person as Teresa Chiancazzo, etc. The date of death for the individual, for example, would appear in the body of a marriage record for one of her children with her last name spelled one way. Then when I went to the actual death record, the date would match but the surname would be the other one. This happened for the 4 women: Irena, Angela, Teresa, and Lucia. It's too much of a coincidence that it happened for all four women and that's why I believe that there had to have been some kind of connection between the two surnames and that the officials just varied the spelling of what was pronounced to them orally. I am looking for some kind of etymology proof to back up my theory.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 31 Mar 2010, 11:56

I meant to add that, unfortunately, the early 1800 death records did not give parents' names or the names of spouses. Had this information been available, then I would have had definite proof about Teresa Chiancazzo/i being Teresa Biancacci, about Lucia Chiancazzo/i being Lucia Biancacci, etc.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 31 Mar 2010, 12:21

One other thing-the husbands did match in each case, as I retrieved that info from the records of the children.

Teresa Biancacci was married to Rocco Diruggiero; so was Teresa Chiancazzo/i

Irena Biancacci was married to Giovanni Pasciucco; so was Irena Chiancazzo/i

etc.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 31 Mar 2010, 12:21

Maestra both surnames, as spelled, are not listed in the De Felice Italian Surname Dictionary BUT there is a Biancucci listed as a variant of the base surname Bianchi which may or may not have relevance.

Both surnames are local in origin but more pronounced research about the history of the surnames may shed some light. =Peter=
~Peter~

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 31 Mar 2010, 12:27

Thanks, Peter. I am not familiar with that Italian surname dictionary. I had hoped that the library in the town or province would provide some insight, but I had no luck going that route years ago. Perhaps I should try again, as it may be depend on who is working there and how good their research skills are or whether they want to take the time to do the research. I believe that there were a group of people in that area at some point who were known as Chiancazzi. I recall reading that at some point on the internet years ago. This mystery has driven me nuts for since the late 1990s when it first presented itself to me through my extensive research of the state civil records for the town of Stigliano.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 31 Mar 2010, 12:31

I meant for you to research since asking others for such refined examination of the surnames would require putting Saint Anthony statue upside down!! =Peter=
~Peter~

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 31 Mar 2010, 12:49

Peter, for years I have been doing my own genealogy research-I've been doing Italian genealogy research since March of 1997 when I started researching from microfilmed records. I have researched in at least 20 towns both on the mainland and in Sicily. I also have done other kinds of extensive research related to topics suggested by the Italian records. I just can't seem to access the right sources to solve this mystery. So, it's not about wanting others to do my research for me. This forum is filled with people doing just that and I am not one of those people. It's about trying to track down the right sources to solve the problem. Sometimes those in your Italian town or region have access to materials that here in the U.S. we simply do not have access to. In my own mind, the mystery is solved, but I am a researcher and I do not like to say that something is true with without definitive proof. Believe me, if I could put a statue of St Anthony or St Joseph in the ground upside down to solve this mystery, at this point, I probably would.

Michael31
Master
Master

Postby Michael31 » 31 Mar 2010, 16:05

google books

The new Pocket - Dictionary of the Italian and English Languages
By C. Craglia printed 1818 Page 77
BIANCACCIO - adj. whitish

Michael31
Master
Master

Postby Michael31 » 31 Mar 2010, 16:18

http://www.comune.garaguso.mt.it/Biblio.php
Albo Dei Sindaci
CHIANCAZZO Giuseppe 10.10.1876 - 15.7.1880

google maps
Calciano to San Mauro Forte

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 31 Mar 2010, 16:19

Thank you for trying to help me solve this mystery I did know that the surname Biancacci was a variant of the Italian word for the color white.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 31 Mar 2010, 23:11

My antiquarian book dealer in Bologna has older sources of reference works for Basilicata but going thru the 2008 catalogue there is no reference to Stigliano by anyone in the Basilicata collection and only one that makes reference to Lucania as a region. Please let me know how I can assist your efforts. =Peter=
~Peter~

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 01 Apr 2010, 15:21

Thanks, Peter. I sent you a private message as a reply which you haven't opened.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”