Help please with Registri Battesimali translation - Firenze

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
RKE10

Help please with Registri Battesimali translation - Firenze

Postby RKE10 » 30 Mar 2010, 02:11

Hi:

I *think* I may have found something important about the Maria Naldi I am looking for.

Her birth date from her naturalization papers is listed as June 1, 1898 in Firenze. However, looking at the registry at:

www.operaduomo.firenze...battesimi/

I found a Maria Naldi who was either born or baptized in April of 1898. I can't figure out how to link to the page, but at the top of the page:

registro: 443, Fg. 230 di 335
Femmine, 1898 April 5 - 1898 Maggio 29.
Lettera: N

I basically entered the year and letter *N* in the search boxes.

Is there anyone who can please translate what this says for me? I can't make out the writing, and I don't read Italian! I can't even tell what the date is supposed to be! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Help please with Registri Battesimali translation - Fire

Postby Squigy » 30 Mar 2010, 02:19

RKE10 wrote:Hi:

I *think* I may have found something important about the Maria Naldi I am looking for.

Her birth date from her naturalization papers is listed as June 1, 1898 in Firenze. However, looking at the registry at:

www.operaduomo.firenze...battesimi/

I found a Maria Naldi who was either born or baptized in April of 1898. I can't figure out how to link to the page, but at the top of the page:

registro: 443, Fg. 230 di 335
Femmine, 1898 April 5 - 1898 Maggio 29.
Lettera: N

I basically entered the year and letter *N* in the search boxes.

Is there anyone who can please translate what this says for me? I can't make out the writing, and I don't read Italian! I can't even tell what the date is supposed to be! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

The link you posted does not work.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 30 Mar 2010, 02:33

Looks like the child's name is Italia, Maria, Gaspera of Antonio Naldi of Pietro ( the baby's father would be Antonio and the grandfather would be Pietro) and the mother was Annunziata of Antonio Bartoli. The infants' parents were coniugi or spouses. They were married. The child was born on the 26th day of April at 7 a.m.

RKE10

Postby RKE10 » 30 Mar 2010, 02:44

Thank you SO much! This pretty much fits the information I have about her (dates and spelling are a bit off -- but pretty close). I'm sure it is the right person.

Sorry about the broken link -- I have no idea why it didn't work.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 30 Mar 2010, 02:49

Looks like the baptism was on the 27th.

RKE10

Postby RKE10 » 30 Mar 2010, 02:56

This is SO helpful I now have a name for Antonio's father (I had Antonio's name as Angelo) and her mom's correct name (I had it as Assunta). The Bartoli name is familiar to me and I will start pursuing that avenue.

I wonder why Maria told everyone she was born on June 1st? This is all SO interesting!

Any suggestions on where to go from here? I have already written to Florence for the "Family Certificate" and have been waiting not-so-patiently for the last five weeks to hear from them.

Thanks again.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 30 Mar 2010, 03:05

Does the anagrafe office for the city have a website online with an email address?. If so, I would try emailing that office after Easter and repeat your request.

I just hope you definitely have the correct baptism record for your ancestor. I find it disturbing that the month is so far off as well as that the parents' first names don't match what you have in the other document. Did you check for your ancestor under another year, perhaps under 1897 or 1899? You just never know, but the year could be off.

RKE10

Postby RKE10 » 30 Mar 2010, 03:15

Yes, I checked two years before and after. I'm not so concerned about the first names being different as my best sources for those have been passenger records and census. All the relatives who would know first-hand are no longer with us.

I will check on the email -- very good idea. Thanks so much.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 30 Mar 2010, 03:17

I am just concerned that you may now trace the wrong family if you think the first names are now something different. Also I am wondering if there was more parish in Florence and that this website may not have all the city's baptism records. I can't really tell by looking at the website.

RKE10

Postby RKE10 » 30 Mar 2010, 03:34

I'm hoping the information I receive from Florence will confirm (or not) the new information I listed here. I'm not going to spend too much time searching for the new names, but it will give me something to do while I wait to hear from the registrar. You may be right that there are other baptism records out there -- that is why I contacted the city of Florence first. I'm just so impressed with what is online.

Thanks again for your help.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”