Surname Scafainolo/Scafaivolo/Scaviolo?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ThereseC

Surname Scafainolo/Scafaivolo/Scaviolo?

Postby ThereseC » 21 Mar 2004, 15:42

Hello,
I'm trying to find the correct Italian spelling of my ancestor's surname. I believe they were from Montefalcone di Val Fortore, Benevento and possibly moved to San Marco La Catola, Foggia. Angelo Antonio Scafainolo/Scafaivolo/Scaviolo who wed Filomena (possible D'Alessio) and had a son Clavio born 1892. I've also seen the spelling of Scafsinola and Scafiola in a US Census and an old city directory. Is anyone familiar with this surname - Scafainolo/Scafaivolo/Scaviolo ? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Therese

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname Scafainolo/Scafaivolo/Scaviolo?

Postby suanj » 22 Mar 2004, 06:45

ThereseC wrote:Hello,
I'm trying to find the correct Italian spelling of my ancestor's surname. I believe they were from Montefalcone di Val Fortore, Benevento and possibly moved to San Marco La Catola, Foggia. Angelo Antonio Scafainolo/Scafaivolo/Scaviolo who wed Filomena (possible D'Alessio) and had a son Clavio born 1892. I've also seen the spelling of Scafsinola and Scafiola in a US Census and an old city directory. Is anyone familiar with this surname - Scafainolo/Scafaivolo/Scaviolo ? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Therese

Hi really is an dilemma this surname in italian language..
Angelo Antonio age 49 and Claudio age 21 (not Clavio) moved in USA in 1913 http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 3846130013
coming from Montefalcone Valfortore, wife Angelo Antonio and mother Claudio: Filomena... ; uncle: Agostino D'Alessio
But this surname are misspelled..in Benevento area exist CAVAIUOLO.. suggestions?
Regards, suanj

ThereseC

Scafainolo / Cavaiuolo

Postby ThereseC » 23 Mar 2004, 20:54

Suanj,

Thank you! I did have the Ellis Island information. The best clues I have are small pieces of two postcards. The name you gave me does help. On one postcard, it has the "S" separated from the "C", the other has them together as one name. It is possible that the post cards say either: Antonio S Cafaiuolo or Cafainolo and the other Antonio Scafainolo or Scafaiuolo. It is definately an "f" not a "v" but it could have been changed along the many years.

I have all the United States information I can find; census, city directory, Social Security, etc. I was trying to get an accurate Italian spelling so I can write to Italy in hopes of obtaining a "Situazione Di Famiglia". Thank you again.

Therese

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Scafainolo / Cavaiuolo

Postby suanj » 24 Mar 2004, 06:47

ThereseC wrote:Suanj,

Thank you! I did have the Ellis Island information. The best clues I have are small pieces of two postcards. The name you gave me does help. On one postcard, it has the "S" separated from the "C", the other has them together as one name. It is possible that the post cards say either: Antonio S Cafaiuolo or Cafainolo and the other Antonio Scafainolo or Scafaiuolo. It is definately an "f" not a "v" but it could have been changed along the many years.

I have all the United States information I can find; census, city directory, Social Security, etc. I was trying to get an accurate Italian spelling so I can write to Italy in hopes of obtaining a "Situazione Di Famiglia". Thank you again.

Therese

Hi: Therese, really, for reading ship's manifest are "F" and not "V", more is "SC" and not only "C", but this surname Scafaiuolo or Scafaniolo or similar not are in Italy, also not are records in the past ..really are only Cavaiuolo in Benevento area..

-more also an other Cavaiuolo Angelo Antonio coming from Ceppaloni (Benevento province)http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/search/passRecord.asp?MID=06831962910267055616&LNM=CAVANIOLE&PLNM=CAVANIOLE&RF=1&pID=101372130304

-more also others Cavaiuolo persons emigrated( in many versions misspelled of this original surname: Cavanolo, Cavamolo, Cavaniolo, Cavaiolo, Coveiuelo, Cavainolo, Cavainola, Cavainoli etc.., but from reading is ever Cavaiuolo) alls coming from Benevento's Common area...

-I think, are just read Montefalcone di ValFortore's microfilm from Mormoni (familysearch)..for to know just spelling of surname..
regards, suanj

tscave

Postby tscave » 19 Sep 2009, 19:56

hi i just ound tis post and my name is athony scaviola i had a grandfather names claudio and his father was angelo antoni0 and mother filomena they are fom montfalcone and he came here in 1912 with his ather and claudio married liberata lembo in conway pennsylvania and had a son named anthony who is my father a cant believe i foun this i hve trying to figure out how o spell he name asi couldnt figure it out because we spel it scaviola i would love to here fom you i live in florida but my whole family sin connecticut

laurascav

Postby laurascav » 19 Jun 2012, 07:05

Hi all,

My great-grandfather is Claudio (Clavio is the same person). He lived in Waterbury, CT. My last name is Scaviola and I always wondered why the only Scaviola's I knew are directly related to me. If these documents are what you say they are...then this may mean I am related to a Cavaiuolo? I'm unable to track Clavio's parents on ancestry because the name changed to Scaviola, I think. If anyone else has info on this please email me laurascav@gmail.com!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”