Miresse Family of Monte Falcone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
smaress

Re: Miresse Family of Monte Falcone

Post by smaress »

Thanks. I'll look forward to seeing any information you may find.
SMiresse

Post by SMiresse »

Hey Steve,
My Great great grandfather was Antonio. I spoke with my grandfather today, unfortunately he is not in good health so I don't know how much more info I can get from him.

Steve
Carmie

Post by Carmie »

Hello, I just wanted to say that my family was also from Montefalcone. D'Onofrio, they settled in the U.P. of Michigan. I read that your family also had changed their name. My family name after they settled was changed to Denofre which is how my family has been spelling it every since.
In Ishpeming Michigan when I grew up there, I remember the name Caduti. I know the family came from Montefalcone.
My husband is military and when stationed in Europe we traveled to Montefalcone, it was on a Sunday when we went 'Up' to Montefalcone from Naples. We had asked about my family and they said Benevento.
One important fact also, is that alot of 'towns' in Italy that weren't highly populated sometime the people would say they were from a 'larger' known city in that area.
zep107

Post by zep107 »

Hi, I found this board after searching for my great grandparents. Their names were Leonard(o) Zeppa/Zeppo and Antonette Coduti (Zeppa/Zeppo). I know for sure that Leonard was from Montefalcone but I can't seem to find any information about their parents. Even the spellings keep changing for their names. As I read this forum I noticed both of these lasts names and I was hoping they were related. Both Leonard and Antonette resided in Chicago Illinois.
Lauren
smaress

Post by smaress »

Hi Lauren,
The surnames Zeppa, Coduti, Miresse all are from Montefalcone. My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Mariantonia Zeppa, and her father my great grand-father was Francesco Saverio Zeppa. My uncle married Josephine Coduti, who was born in Montefalcone. My surname Maresso was derived from Miresse, changed when my ancestors came to the USA from Montefalcone in the early 1900's.
Kenai4
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota (from the Iron Range of Minnesota)

Post by Kenai4 »

Just bandwagoning in on the Montefalcone di Val Fortore names. Lots of the emigrants went to Northern Michigan--Iron Mountain and then on from there to the Iron Range of Minnesota. All the names in the thread so far sound like "old home" week on the old north side of Virginia, Minnesota. Throw in Altobelli and Lucarelli into the same mix of names. The problem--and the real reason for my writing is that I travelled to the village twice, and was fortunate to meet with some residents and emigrees that were home visiting. The records that are civil were destroyed covering the majority of the immigration period to the us during WWII. Most everything after 1860 is spotty.
smaress

Post by smaress »

Just came across some more Miresse's that resided in Chicago, which I know are cousins but I do not know where they connect in my family tree. While looking though some of my Aunts pictures, I also found quite an extensive list of prayer cards for relatives, which she kept. Two of the cards are for Leo Miresse (b:2-23-1885 d:6-27-1960) and his wife Nardela "Della" (Corso) Miresse (b:7-23-1890 d:3-31-1988). Both were born and married in Montefalcone, then came to Chicago. They had at least 3 children (Caroline, Paul, and Sue)all born in Chicago. Interesting that Caroline's married name was Lucarelli, a surname mentioned in Kenai4's note posted prior to mine. I would assume there is a strong possibility that Leo Miresse could be the son, or nephew of my g-grandfather Michele Miresse. Wonder if anyone reading this post may have any information about Michele Miresse's parents, or family. Michele Miresse was most likely born between 1844-1854, based on the birth date of his children.
joenvic

Post by joenvic »

My grandfather, Joe (Giuseppi?) Miresse, also migrated to the US from Monte Falcone. He was born in 1877 and came here at a very young age (late teens or early 20's) which would have been in the mid to late 1890's. He settled in Iron Mountain, MI. I am wondering if your grandfather, Antonio, was a brother to my grandfather. My grandpa Joe did name one of his sons Anthony. We are going to Monte Falcone in September this year and I am trying to determine some of the history. I have been told there are no Miresse's left in Monte Falcone any more although I have friended a couple Miresse's on Facebook. They are younger, live outside of Rome and would have to be cousins several times removed. I am curious as to how your search went and if you might have uncovered a Joseph/Giuseppi Miresse in your lineage. I live in Wisconsin and am 59 years old. My name is Joe Miresse. And in just rereading these posts, my grandmother was Carmella Coduti, born in 1883.
joenvic

Post by joenvic »

Correction to my post above. My grandmother Carmella was a Picucci, not a Coduti. However, her sister married a Coduti but I do not know any first names.
smaress

Post by smaress »

Hi Joe. My records do not show a Giuseppi Miresse, but that doesn't mean we aren't related in some way, in fact we are very likely distant cousins. In fact my Aunt Josephine's maiden name was Coduti, born in Montefalcone and grew up in Eau Clarie WI before marrying my Uncle Mike in Chicago. The Picucci family is somehow related as well but I have not yet found the link to the Picucci's. I remember there were Picucci's attending weddings and wakes when I was younger. I am 61 year sold now. I'll be happy to share any information I have to help determine how we are related. If you are on Facebook I will send you a friend request, which will make it easier for us to communicate. Thanks.
smaress

Post by smaress »

Joe, an update since my previous post about my link to the Picucci family. My 3x great grandmothers maiden name was Saviera Piciuccio (Picucci) born in Montefalcone in 1789 and died in Montefalcone on 26 Jan 1821. Married to Nicola Anniballi 28 May 1809.
ChicagoMiresse

Post by ChicagoMiresse »

I just came across this site so I'm not sure if it is even active. If it is, in reply to smaress' post, 03 Jan 2014, Leo and Della Miresse were my great-grandparents. I haven't been able to find any concrete info about Leo's parents. However, Leo & Della lived in Chicago and had had 5 children, Mildred, died at 16 from cancer, Caroline, Sue, Joe, my grandfather, and Paul; all are deceased. Joe had 2 sons; both of whom had daughters. Paul had a son, who never had children and is also deceased, and a daughter. So, unfortunately, that arm of the family no longer has anyone to carry on the Miresse name. I did give both of my son's the middle name of Miresse.
I believe my great-great-grandmother, mother of Nardella Corso Miresse, may have been a Corduti.
I found this reference to the word "miresse" in a dissertation:
“Although the form ‘miresse’ exists in Old French and is used to name women practitioners in historical records, in the world of romance it is largely absent”. Website: https://repository.library.brown.edu/st ... em/bdr:52/. Smaress, perhaps the Miresses originally came from France, and that is why your great-grandfather's name was Michele! Here is another reference: "The vernacular terms were physicienne (physician), miresse (doctor), chirurpne (surgeon), barbiire (barber)", website:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ntury_Lyon.