Esposito/Fraia/Sansone/Ligouri

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
geisej99

Esposito/Fraia/Sansone/Ligouri

Postby geisej99 » 10 Apr 2010, 02:08

My Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother immigrated to New York in 1920. Both were born in 1893.

My Great Grandfather's name is Julius (Guilio) Esposito. His parents were Vincenzo Esposito and Anna Fraia.

My Great Grandmother's name is Anna Sansone. Her parents were Guiseppe Sansone and Maria Liguori.

Unfortunately All 4 of the last names are quite common italian names, and because I do not have birth/death information on them I've hit a roadblock on my genealogy research.

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Esposito/Fraia/Sansone/Ligouri

Postby maestra36 » 10 Apr 2010, 02:51

I see your Julius's WW II draft registration card in Queens, NY. This is on the website www.familysearchlabs.org

You have to register with a username and password. If you go to the United States, WW II draft registration cards, you can find him under the category for Queens.

His date of birth on this card, which may or may not be accurate, is given as April 12, 1893. He was living at 87-39 90th St in Woodhaven Queens. Place of birth is given as Naples, same as on his 1921 passenger list. I don't know if this is Naples the city or Naples the Province. It is important that you get his exact town of birth in order to get information from Italy.
His wife, Anna, living at the same address. His employer was Star Homes in Wallington NJ.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 10 Apr 2010, 02:54

Passenger list for him and Anna The Braga arrived Jan 5, 1921. Both age 27.

By the way, the Esposito surname was sometimes given to foundlings or illegitimate children, so you may find this stumbling block as you get further back in your research.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 10 Apr 2010, 02:57

ULIUS ESPOSITO 12 Apr 1893 Feb 1964 (New York) (none specified) 084-12-5325 New York

This is him in the Social Security Index found on the website www.rootsweb.com

You can generate a letter to send to Social Security to get a copy of his application for his social security card. It costs $27. Should have his town of birth on it.

To access the passenger list, go to stevemorse.org and search the name from the gold form, which is the third option down or you can search it from www.ellisislandrecords.org

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 10 Apr 2010, 02:58

sorry the J in Julius got cut off in the above entry. Date of death was Feb 1964.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 10 Apr 2010, 03:00

ANNA ESPOSITO 26 Feb 1893 Dec 1990 (not specified) (none specified) 108-03-3361 New York

This is possibly your Anna, but I can't say for sure.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 10 Apr 2010, 03:05

Possibly you could tell us what documents you do have in your possession, if any, so that none of us duplicates what you already have. Do you have them on census records? If you eventually want to retrieve information from Italy about your ancestors, you need to learn as much as you can about them from the U.S. documents available to you. You need to be absolutely certain about their place of birth in Italy.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 10 Apr 2010, 03:16

You also need to tell us if your great grandparents' parents came to the U.S. or did they remain in Italy.

geisej99

Postby geisej99 » 10 Apr 2010, 12:27

First off thank you for the fast reply.

I found my great grandparents in the 1930 Census living in Queens, NY.

The information you found in both of them seems to match my records. They were both born in Naples, Italy. Based on that I would think there parents were also born in Naples.

The documents I have for my grandfather include his original naturalization papers, many pictures of him posing in the Italian Alps, A flag? that was given to him from the Italian Army at the end of WWI; and some sort of civil document (I don't read italian that well-maybe birth certificate) which states his full name, his date of birth, where he was born, who his parents were, and his wifes name-I would scan this document onto the computer but I'm afraid it may fall apart.

The information on my Great Grandmother includes her social security card, her birth certificate - with her birth date, where she was born, her parents names, etc. (same exact type of form as Great Grandfather), several brittle letters which I can't even read.

I asked my grandmother and other family members and they do not think my great grandparents parents ever came over to America. I will review the documents again and right down the information when I get a chance.

(Note-I found all these documents when my grandmother was told she had 6 months to live-of course shes still alive almost 10 years later. In the rush to prepare her house for sale my family could not take everything found. We left behind easily over 100 of those thick cardboard type photographs of family members, which were just too bulky to bring along. No one in the family thought she was going to get healthier-now I kick myself for not grabbing the pictures because she has identified every picture we did keep.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”