Census Assistance Needed

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Nimby5956
Rookie
Rookie

Census Assistance Needed

Postby Nimby5956 » 11 Apr 2010, 02:39

I'm trying to find my gr-grandparents listed on the 1900-1930 census and I'm not having any luck. I've looked in several locations including subscription to Ancestry, FootNote and FamilyHistory (LDS).

Names: Pietro Bartolomeo (b: 1865) and Nicoleta (Clara) Loreto (b: 1875)
children: Gerardo, (possibly Gaetano and Domenico) I have found census records for my grandfather Gerardo...It's his parents I can't seem to locate.

I would go to the state library to view census records; however, I don't know where they lived only that it was in Queens and/or Bronx, NY.

This side of the family has been very elusive and difficult to find. I don't even know if they stayed in the US or when/where they died, etc.....

I'm totally out of ideas of where and how to continue this search.
I would like to move my search to Italy (Bari), but again, I can't seem to find any info on the gr-grandparents that will allow me to do that.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Census Assistance Needed

Postby PeterTimber » 11 Apr 2010, 03:14

Nimby did you try www.castlegarden.org for entry into the USA from 1880 on up which is 12 years earlier than the ellisisland.org website starting for entries in 1892???

There are many Barftolomeo and Loreto from the Provincia Bari area and if you click on the names they give you some background as well. For instance there is one Pietro Bartolomeo born 1867 from Toritto coming to join his brother-in-law Stefano..this sort of information. Do not put in the first name just Bartolomeo and then after him Loreto for her. =Peter=
~Peter~

Nimby5956
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Nimby5956 » 11 Apr 2010, 03:20

I have some ship manifests...but they must have been hiding from the Census workers, because that's where my problem comes in.

I believe they had 1 child (Gaetano) when they came over in 1898,1899 and 1905. My grandfather was born in 1900 and I believe they had one daughter Teresa, but I can't really confirm it with census records.

Doing family research can be a frustrating as it is exciting :)

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 11 Apr 2010, 07:13

Nimby5956
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Nimby5956 » 11 Apr 2010, 14:06

Thank you Laura -
I probably should have included links to previous posts, although I'm not quite sure how they would help since I'm looking for my gr-grandparents on Census records, not my grandparents.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 11 Apr 2010, 14:20

I know this is not specifically what you are searching for, but you may want this info anyway. If this is a brother of your Gerardo (I don't see him in the birth index), Gaetano's birth record may have an address on it which may be helpful to you in your search for his parents on a census record. You would have to send for the record (you can do that directly through this website) and that will confirm his parents' names

Bartolomeo Gaetan Oct 25 1902 34012 Manhattan B634

This is from the NYC birth index at the following website-

http://www.italiangen.org/NYCBirthsearch.asp

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 11 Apr 2010, 14:22

In case you are not familiar with this index, the #34012 is the certificate number of the Manhattan NY birth record. Don't worry about the soundex code B634.

Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Eleven » 12 Apr 2010, 13:18

My guess is the census records are there, but they are misspelled in the index.

For almost two years, I have been volunteering, online at the LDS indexing records. I can guarantee you that probably half the names indexed, are spelled incorrectly. Some, are the fault of the census taker and some the fault of those doing the indexing. Some of the handwriting is very poor and difficult to decipher.

Try searching again using misspellings. Change the o's to a's. Try changing the B to a P. Try changing the r to a n, and the m to an n. These are very common mistakes, that I find while working with these old censuses. Try a few different variations. Also, try them on all of the 3 sites that you used, because each site is using their own index, made by their own workers.

By the way, these workers, that create these indexes, are told to type the mistakes. In other words, if the census taker wrote Snith instead of Smith..we are supposed to type Snith (which I personally dont think is a good idea).

Good luck.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”