looking for information on Romano surname from Floridia,

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
diegousa74

looking for information on Romano surname from Floridia,

Post by diegousa74 »

Hi, I'm looking for my family. They came from the town of Floridia, Syracuse province in Sicily. I have located some records in Ellis Island. There wher two sisters that came to America and a brother that went to Argentina (my grandfather) The sisters Carmela and Gaetana Romano came in the Taormina ship between 1920 and 1928. They went to Hartfort Connecticut. That's all the information that I have. Any help will be appreciated.
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: looking for information on Romano surname from Floridia,

Post by Essgee »

diegousa74 wrote:Hi, I'm looking for my family. They came from the town of Floridia, Syracuse province in Sicily. I have located some records in Ellis Island. There wher two sisters that came to America and a brother that went to Argentina (my grandfather) The sisters Carmela and Gaetana Romano came in the Taormina ship between 1920 and 1928. They went to Hartfort Connecticut. That's all the information that I have. Any help will be appreciated.
Well, the passenger records reveal a little more. There father is named Pasquale and they were going to meet him in Boston. The mother of Carmela was listed as Carmela also...she was left in Italy.

Also, there are numbers listed on both passenger lines:
With Carmela the numbers are 1-223140 and the date 12/10/37
With Gaetana the numbers are 15-19678..or it could be 1-519678 and the date indicated is 7/22/42.

These numbers and dates indicated the arrival records had been investigated for naturalization. In Carmela's case, the district where she applied was "1", the number of the naturalization document was 223140 and the date of naturalization paperwork was Dec. 10, 1937. The same true of Gaetana.

This paperwork can be accessed to determine name of parents, town of origin, etc. This might help you find additional information on the family as well as giving their married names if any.

The civil records for Floridia--the birth, death, marriage records--are available on microfilm at the Family History Library near your home. Go to www.familysearch.org to see what branch is nearest your home and check the library holdings. These records cover from 1820 to 1910.

If there is more we can help with, let us know.