NEW YORK CITY ITALIAN AMERICAN PHOTO ARCHIVES

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CalamariGirl

NEW YORK CITY ITALIAN AMERICAN PHOTO ARCHIVES

Postby CalamariGirl » 14 Apr 2010, 13:01

I am looking for a photo of an Italian man who was a sidewalk performer in New York City in the 1870's. His name was Giovanni Foppiano and he was a street performer from 1874 - 1878. He would perform with a monkey that would dance and extract lottery tickets from a hat that it would had to passers by. The passersby would then give some coins for the performance.

If anybody has any suggestions of who to contact (other than the Italian Genealogical Group and the New York Historical Society) I'd appreciate the information.

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Re: NEW YORK CITY ITALIAN AMERICAN PHOTO ARCHIVES

Postby aliza24 » 23 May 2010, 21:54

Ciao,

I just came across your post. I have some people that first settled in NYC. I called a couple of places- libraries, historical societies and they were unbelievably nice and helpful!

I wanted to know if the house address in the 1900 census was still the same building or if had been torn down and replaced at some point. They researched the address and gave me the answer. I couldn't believe it!

I would give the libraries / societies a try. Just google them and call.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”