Where to search?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
thtrecostume

Where to search?

Postby thtrecostume » 17 Apr 2010, 20:30

I am aiming to go to Calabria in September, to find information, and maybe relatives! My big question is, where do I start looking? Would a city hall or church be the better choice? libraries? Where are old records kept in Italy, where is the best place to start a search? are any available online, or are any contacts availabe to answer questions?
I would be looking for records about my great-grandfather Carmen Aquila and great-grandmother Giovanina Pelecorio (and their children Michael, Fiorenza, Marietta, Retina), in Cosenza and Rose. Giovanina, Fiorenza, Marietta and Retina left in 1902.
In Catanzaro, I would be looking for information about my grandfather's family Guiseppe Mazza, and cousins. Guiseppe arrived in the US about 1912. We believe his father was named Francesco. Guiseppe's sister Concetta had sons Vincenzo, and Guiseppe Piscsitelli.Another sister, Benedetta, married a Casanova. Another cousin was Pina Russo. We have pictures of them from the 1940s. Hopefully, we can find more family.
Any help is greatly appreciated! And clues or suggestions, greatly appreciated!

Rita S

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Where to search?

Postby maestra36 » 17 Apr 2010, 22:50

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.fac ... 6D16.node1

The Archivio di Cosenza has some records online to 1900, which you may find helpful. You would probably accomplish more doing research from here in the U.S. than once you get to Italy. As to the churches, not all have resident priests. You pretty much have to track down the church in advance and send a letter saying when you will there to see if someone will be at the parish to help you. Chances are they will not leave you alone to do the research on your own. Some priests administer multiple parishes in numerous towns. At the town level, research would be conducted at the anagrafe or registry office of the particular town located in its town hall. Just be aware that a lot of the clerks speak dialects at these registry offices. Some of these offices are very disorganized as to how they keep their record books, etc. They also don't necessarily have time to help you. Even if you go with someone who is a native of your town, and speaks the local dialect, you may not have success. I have a cousin who went with a distant cousin from the town in question to the one registry office. The clerk there finally helped her locate the book with the record she was searching for but then said she didn't have time to make an estratto, which is an extracted copy of the record They will not make you a photocopy. She said the estratto would be ready for pick up the next day, but when the cousin from the town went back to get it, it hadn't been done. Here it is 6 years later and that record has still not been gotten from that office there. If you know your town. look to see if the town has an official website online and email address. If so, try emailing to get the information for which you are searching. Try writing to the local parish, if you know what it is. Do as much research as you can from here in the U.S., and use your time in Italy to sightsee rather than to do research there.

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 17 Apr 2010, 23:03

maestra36 :D
Great advice!
---

Rita,

This may help you locate family currently living in Cosenza and Catanzaro.

White pages:
http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html

Form Letter to a Possible Relative

A couple of thoughts,
You may want to concentrate on given names that occur in your family since they tend to repeat in families that follow traditional naming patterns.
And remember, women it Italy keep their maiden names!

Good luck!
Valarie

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 18 Apr 2010, 00:09

Thanks Valarie.
Peg

Michael31
Master
Master

Postby Michael31 » 18 Apr 2010, 02:37

www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html
PELLICORI Cosenza
PELLICORI Castrolibero
AQULIA Castrolibero
AQUILA Cosenza
AQUILA Rose

PISCITELLI Catanzaro
MAZZA Catanzaro (near) via Giuseppe Schipiani, 3

www.cognomiitaliani.org

thtrecostume

Postby thtrecostume » 18 Apr 2010, 13:47

Thank you all so much for all the helpful information! this will hopefully enable me to find out more-- Thank you again!!

Rita S

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 18 Apr 2010, 13:52

You might want to arm yourself with knoowledge of Italian Genealogy so that you can know what to ask and why facilitating your rersearch and our efforts in your behalf.

www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/fr ... earch.html

Its a short read and any questions will promptly be answered with gusto!=Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”