Italian POW in USA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Italian POW in USA

Postby jo123 » 22 Apr 2010, 12:01

Hi all,

I am trying to find out some info on where my Grandfather, Saverio Andrea Monterosso, was a POW in the USA around 1939-1945. I know he was at war in Africa but then escaped back to Italy (because my Grandmother was pregnant), then the Italian Military came back for him. He was then captured in Africa and taken to America but not sure where he was held as a POW.

I ordered the CD from Gentracer.com which lists all of the POW's in America in 1945. I thought it might give me some insight to where he was, but on the website it says:

"The column heading marked "org" leads to a set of scanned pages listing locations where POWs were held. Unfortunately, the 3 digit codes on that list don't correspond to the 3 digit codes on these rosters, although both the experts at NARA and I thought they did when this project was under development. I've since been able to disprove that theory through researching several POWs."

Has anyone else found the CD useful for any other information.

Josie
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”