Principatos from Altavilla

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
zippyprince1954

Principatos from Altavilla

Postby zippyprince1954 » 23 Apr 2010, 20:39

Hi, I've come to a dead end as to what I can do in the U.S. My great-grandfather was Giuseppe Principato, born in Altavilla Milicia, Sicily, around 1854/56. His father was Ciro, also from Altavilla. Giuseppt married Cira (Cecilia) Guttadauro LaBrasca, and had 8 children beginning with Ciro in 1876. They immigrated in groups to New York, New Orleans, Chigago, Winnipeg, and finally to Los Angeles. I'm wanting to find birth, marriage, baptism, death documents from the archives in Altavilla and/or Palermo. I want to know how many brothers and sisters my great-grandfather had, and if possible, more about my great-great grandparents. Should I write, in Italian, of course, to the suggested municiple and church authorities, or are these documents archives on any web sited that I can access? Does anyone have any advice? Thanks so much!

Stuck in Salinas.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Principatos from Altavilla

Postby wldspirit » 23 Apr 2010, 21:29

Civil registration microfilmed by the Lds is available:

1821 - 1910

The following sites will help you in the use of microfilm:

Obtaining microfilm

Italian genealogical word list

Latin genealogical word list

Italian record extraction

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

CarrieB

Re: Principatos from Altavilla

Postby CarrieB » 07 Jun 2012, 23:52

zippyprince1954 wrote:Hi, I've come to a dead end as to what I can do in the U.S. My great-grandfather was Giuseppe Principato, born in Altavilla Milicia, Sicily, around 1854/56. His father was Ciro, also from Altavilla. Giuseppt married Cira (Cecilia) Guttadauro LaBrasca, and had 8 children beginning with Ciro in 1876. They immigrated in groups to New York, New Orleans, Chigago, Winnipeg, and finally to Los Angeles. I'm wanting to find birth, marriage, baptism, death documents from the archives in Altavilla and/or Palermo. I want to know how many brothers and sisters my great-grandfather had, and if possible, more about my great-great grandparents. Should I write, in Italian, of course, to the suggested municiple and church authorities, or are these documents archives on any web sited that I can access? Does anyone have any advice? Thanks so much!

Stuck in Salinas.

My great grandmother was Sarah LaBrasca born in Altavilla Milicia. She married my great grandfather also from Altavilla Milicia, Calogero Corsello. They sailed to America in 1899 leaving from Naples and landing in New York. Not long thereafter moving to Pittsburgh where they lived the rest of their lives. I am thinking she may be one of the eight siblings of which you speak. Where you ever able to obtain more information?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”