Giuseppe Gestro (1846-1905)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CeiJae

Giuseppe Gestro (1846-1905)

Post by CeiJae »

Hello.

I'm looking for any information that can be found on my great-great grandfather Giuseppe (Joseph) Gestro. He was born in 1846 in Italy, and died in 1905 in Wellington, New Zealand. I don't know when he came over.

I've been talking to my great-aunt (his granddaughter) and she tells me that he said he came from Brindisi, although she's found no information about the Gestro's there and that she believes he is more likely to have come from Genoa. Her cousin Noni Gestro got in contact with a Mario Gestro from Genoa but couldn't find any sort of connection.

He may have had different surnames. Being illiterate and with Joseph's accent the name Gestro was written down how it was pronounced hence the various spellings- Jestroe ,Jestro, Justre and Gustra.

Joseph Justre(Gestro) married Frances Cunningham alias Mullins at St Mary of the Angels Wellington 6th May 1876. He had 9 children, my great grandmother Catherine Gestro being his youngest (she married William Issac Akersten). I don't know all of their names as this has only come up while I've been researching the Akersten family.

Any information that can be found to help me find out more about my Italian heritage is welcomed and appreciated.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Guiseppe Gestro (1846-1905)

Post by liviomoreno »

the first name is Giuseppe
CeiJae

Re: Giuseppe Gestro (1846-1905)

Post by CeiJae »

Ah, thank you. I could never remember.

He died about 87 years before I was born, and so far the only one who has been ablet to tell me anything about him is my great-aunt, who refers to him as Joseph, which is his English name so it's not too easy to find out information and retain all of it.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

by familysearch:
Bertie Louis Gestro Compact Disc #12 Pin #390794 Pedigree
Sex: M

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event(s)
Birth: 16 Dec 1886

Paramata, Wellington, New Zealand
Death: 24 Dec 1948

Accidently killed in a car accident
Burial: aft 27 Dec 1948

Karori Cemetery, Wellington, New Zealand

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parents
Father: John Lewis Gestro Disc #12 Pin #400570
Mother: Fannie Mullens Disc #12 Pin #400571

Marriage(s)
Spouse: Sarah Ash Anne Chapman Disc #12 Pin #390792
Marriage: 22 Apr 1915
St Mary's Catholic Church, Carterton, New Zealand

Other Event(s)
_MDCL:
Accidently killed in a car accident

Personal Information
Baker Greytown Campsite, WW1
H L Gestro Tea Shop in Masterton
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that John Lewis Gestro and your Giuseppe Gestro are same person...it is possible?
the birtharea could be Pegli ( Genova, IT) or- however- Genova area...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
CeiJae

Post by CeiJae »

It is him, Francis was known as Fanny, although I don't know where "John" has come from. He has apparently always been known as either Giuseppe or Joseph, so it's a bit strange.

I know that Betty (my great aunt) has talked to her cousin Noni Gestro, and they tried to contact a Gestro in Genoa, and got in touch with a Mario Gestro but there was no connection found. I'm not sure how to go about searching if Noni was unable to find anything and I'm assuming they live in Italy. I speak no Italian and live in New Zealand, with no contact to anyone over there.

So Pegli is a good starting point? How common is the name Gestro anyway, and is it likely to have been changed?
Roryk

Post by Roryk »

hi cousin, my GG Grandfather was mr gestro also my lineage is as follows:

He appears to have many alias's, my mother had him as john louis and joeseph louis there's also a newspaper clip in papers past which refers to him as luigi and of course his headstone reads joeseph.

When his son great uncle bill gestro passed on we inherited a picture we think is mr gestro ,i'd be happy to share.

A storey my father told me recently was that one of his relitives in napier inherited his sea chest which had his name engraved with a different spelling of gestro.

Cheers
AMYBELLE

Post by AMYBELLE »

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/database ... 918.detail This link says he fought in the Boer War and Died in 1902. Hope this helps.
mollie2723

Post by mollie2723 »

Hi there!

My great-great-Grandmother was Lucy Hobbs (Gestro), and was the older sister of Catherine.

I would love to hear about anything you may have found on the Italian side of the family as I am hoping to visit Italy in the next year or so.

Thanks,

Mollie.
lcfraser

Post by lcfraser »

Hi all. Having not known my paternal heritage until very recently, I found out that my biological grandfather is Ronald James Joseph Gestro. His great grandfather was Joseph (Giuseppe) Louis Gestro. I too reside in Napier, New Zealand, as I see someone mention Napier in a previous comment. Joseph Loius Gestro is as far as I've been able to go back so far. I'd love to find out more!