Opinion: Meaning of "the Italian church"

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Opinion: Meaning of "the Italian church"

Postby johnnyonthespot » 29 Apr 2010, 16:37

[quote=Official Journal of the Eighty-Third Session of the Maine Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church]

[align=center]Report of the Presiding Elders – Portland District

OUR ITALIAN MISSION[/align]

For nearly two years we have waited for Bishop Burt to send us a missionary from Italy to take charge of our new work in Portland, but waited in vain. Last November, Rev. V. Castellucci of Boston, who had been an assistant in the Italian church in that city, came to us highly recommended by Rev. Mr. Musso, the pastor, and others.

http://books.google.com/books?id=HOApAAAAYAAJ&dq=methodist%20-%20episcopal%20church%20portland%20maine%20castelucci&pg=RA1-PA282#v=onepage&q&f=false
[/quote]

How would you interpret "the Italian church" from this quotation?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Opinion: Meaning of "the Italian church"

Postby misbris » 29 Apr 2010, 19:21

I take it to mean the church (in Boston) of the Methodist Episcopal Church which serviced the Italian community. I don't think it refers to the Catholic Church.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Opinion: Meaning of "the Italian church"

Postby johnnyonthespot » 29 Apr 2010, 20:07

That's what I was thinking.

According to period newspaper articles I have found, Rev. Castellucci was instrumental in my grandfather receiving a full pardon and being released from state prison after serving five years of a life sentence (for a murder he did not participate in).

I have been trying to track down the Reverend's personal files. Up until a few days ago, I just assumed that he was a Roman Catholic priest...

Right now, I am waiting to hear back from the New England Conference of The United Methodist Church archivist and/or historian.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”