Why would someone put King of Italy under their Nationality?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
audrey_d

Why would someone put King of Italy under their Nationality?

Postby audrey_d » 01 May 2010, 01:16

Hi there!

I just found this site. My aunt is researching our family history and we were wondering why someone would put "King of Italy" under their Former Nationality on a Naturalization form?

It couldn't be because they were literally the King of Italy, right? That seems too far-fetched. And when I googled "king of italy nationality" I ended up on this site seeing someone else list some family info with the same thing – King of Italy listed under their nationality.

Just curious as to what this means and why they use that.

Any info is very appreciated!

Thanks!

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Why would someone put King of Italy under their National

Postby misbris » 01 May 2010, 01:44

I saw that in a few places and didn't understand it until I saw a statement that said "subject of." I think it is short for " the kingdom of Italy."

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 01 May 2010, 10:40

I, too, have seen this. Several times. While I don't know why they put this, I think it's safe to say none of these people are the King of Italy :lol:
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 May 2010, 10:43

From 1861 until 1946, "Kingdom of Italy" (Regno d'Italia) was the name of the country. The heads of state (King of Italy, "re d'Italia") during that time were Victor Emmanuel II, Umberto I, Victor Emmanuel III, and Umberto II.

Since 1946, the formal name is Italian Rebublic ("Repubblica italiana").
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Postby aliza24 » 01 May 2010, 14:47

Johnnyonthespot is right. And on their nat. form they had to list who they were formally loyal to. If the country had a king, they were loyal to, or as MisBris said, a subject of the king.

Being naturalized wasn't just becoming a citizen- you were declaring your loyalty to a new country. There was no dual citizenship at that time- it was one or the other.

I'm sure that's why- to this day- if you want to get dual citizenship from Italy you have to show that your ancestor was NOT naturalized before their child was born. If they were, then they weren't considered Italian citizens anymore, and therefore, couldn't have passed it on to the next generation.

Make sense?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”