Looking For Information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JessiaEW

Looking For Information

Postby JessiaEW » 04 May 2010, 07:45

I am trying to find information on a Gregorio Paglini. He was born in Palermo Sicily Sept 6th 1875. He married a Rosina Cuccia of campofelice fetalia. I know he was put into an orphanage at a young age. I am looking for who is paternal parents were. Thank you for any help.

Michael31
Master
Master

Re: Looking For Information

Postby Michael31 » 04 May 2010, 10:45

http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html
Paglini Sicilia
Paglino Palermo

JessiaEW

Postby JessiaEW » 04 May 2010, 16:31

Thank you for your information. I am still very new to searching my family history. So, are you saying tha you believe that Sicilia Paglini was his paternal mother? Can you tell me the dates she was born? died? And the second thing you have listed is Palermo paglino.. who.what is this? I know he was born in Palermo and then at a very young age given up to an orphanage. A family with the last name of ARNONE then took care of him. THey didnt have any clue as to what his REAL name was so they called him JOE ARNONE. But then they found a tattoo of some sorts on his knee bearing his real name... Gregorio Paglini. Thanks again fo any information you can give me. LIke i said, i'm new to all of this and i have done some research on ancestry.com and found information of Gregorio's later years, but i'm interested in who were his real mother and father. Also, if you could tell me who his wifes mother and father are that would be great!! her name is Rosina Paglini and he maiden name is CUCCIO. she was born in campofelice fitalia on November 2nd 1877. Thank you!

JessiaEW

Postby JessiaEW » 04 May 2010, 16:41

Also, i have found a document where Rosa (Rosina) was applying for her passport to come to america. It states that Gregorio came to America on or around the 7 april 1898 on the SS Karamania fromt he port o f palermo. ( i believe that was the ship name by trying to read the small print on the document i found) So i went and looked up eillis island records and can not find him anywhere on the passenger lists for that year and that ship. Could you maybe help me find his manafest? I do however have Rosa Paglini's manafest saying that she came over on July 5 1905 on the calabria from the port of palermo. ANd i do know that she came after he had come. THANKS AGAIN!!

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 04 May 2010, 19:21

Here's a possibility
Valarie

From ancestry. com
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2590/1898.jpg
Ship Name: Neustria
Arrival Date: 22 Apr 1898
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York

Name: Gregorio Paghier
Birth Year: abt 1875 Age: 23
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian

JessiaEW

Postby JessiaEW » 04 May 2010, 19:35

Line 14 looks like it could be a match. They probably just couldnt read that is says paglini. It says he was going to be with his uncle?? but what does the name say? francesco? its hard to tell. Its strange that the boat information is different than the information that was on his wifes passport application to join him. Do you see where it says he was going to kansas city anywhere on that? Thanks again for all the info! its so exciting seeing stuff like this.

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 04 May 2010, 22:13

best guess:

It appears that lines 14, 15 and 16 were travelling together with $9 between them
(special inquiry notation on all 3 lines - no separate special inquiry manifest page)

line 14
Paglini Gregorio, 23 (abt 1875)
- married
- laborer
- last residence Campofelice
- destination NY
- joining Uncle Francesco Cozzo

line 15
Lo Piccolo Grazia 9 (abt 1889)
- destination changed from NY to New Orleans to join parents

line 16
Canzoneri Rosalia 10 (abt 1888)
- destination NY to join uncle

JessiaEW

Postby JessiaEW » 04 May 2010, 22:29

THANK YOU!! on ancestry.com francesco cozzo was on the same ship as gregorio paglini (i believe) so now i need to figure out if cozzo was gregorio paglini's paternal mothers maiden name.... or who was Cozzo related to, to make him the uncle of gregorio.... this keeps getting better by the minute!! thanks for all your help!! i REALLY appreciate it! i love being able to tell my grandmother about her family!

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 04 May 2010, 22:33

JessiaEW wrote:I am trying to find information on a Gregorio Paglini. He was born in Palermo Sicily Sept 6th 1875. He married a Rosina Cuccia of campofelice fetalia. I know he was put into an orphanage at a young age. I am looking for who is paternal parents were. Thank you for any help.

If Gregorio Paglini was born in Campofelice di Fitalia, you can write to the comune for his birth record
(his son Jack's WWI Card stated his father was born in Palermo Campofelice)
Valarie

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Or other helpful form letters:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Address:

Comune di Campofelice di Fitalia
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Corso Vittorio Emanuele 42
90030 Campofelice di Fitalia PA
ITALY

http://www.tuttitalia.it/sicilia/15-cam ... i-fitalia/