Do I have the address correct?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
giannattasio
Rookie
Rookie

Do I have the address correct?

Postby giannattasio » 04 May 2010, 16:58

I sent for a birth record from Trieste for 1923 and just received a letter. When I resend for the record is the address I write to: p.zza dell' Ospedale 1-34129, Trieste?
DCon la presente si comunica che per tutti gli atti di stato civile formati prima del 1924, il comune di Trieste fa solamente da tramite con i vari Uffici Parrocchiali del territorio, unici responsabili dei documenti rilasciati ed ai quali vanno inoltrati ogni ulteriore richiesta, sollecito o reclamo (Regio Decreto 24.9.1923 n. 2013).
Pertanto, per ottenere il documento relativo alla nominata in oggetto, bisogna rivolgersi direttamente all'Ufficio parrocchiale che custodisce l'atto originale:
S.Giuseppe Ospedale - p.zza dell' Ospedale 1 - 34129 Trieste tel. e fax 040 3992282.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Do I have the address correct?

Postby liviomoreno » 04 May 2010, 17:14

p.zza dell' Ospedale 1
34129 Trieste
Italia

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 04 May 2010, 17:53

When mailing from your home country, use that country's common spelling for Italia.

In other words, when mailing from the US,

p.zza dell' Ospedale 1
34129 Trieste
Italy

the reason being, it is an American worker (or machine) who has to read the name of the country and put the mailpiece into the appropriate stream. We in the US know the country as "Italy".

Imagine, if you will, trying to send a letter to Russia - what are the chances that a US postal worker is going to know what to do with a letter addressed to Rossiyskaya Federatsiya?

Ref: http://www.usps.com/international/addre ... ail.htm#H1

The full address should be typed or legibly written in English—using Roman letters and Arabic numerals—and should be placed lengthwise on one side of the item. An address in a foreign language is permitted if the names of the city, province, and country are also indicated in English.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

giannattasio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby giannattasio » 04 May 2010, 20:56

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”