Di Gesaro family Of Isnello,Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Di Gesaro family Of Isnello,Sicily

Postby roxe » 05 May 2010, 20:04

Hello to all. This is a wonderful and very informative site,thanks to it's creators and staff!

I am looking for a couple of things(if possible)
My grandfather Rosario Di Gesaro from Isnello, Sicily he was married to Domenica Mogavero. I found some records ,but ,they are disjointed to gather a proper timeline for finding their parents. If I have it correct he was born around 1876 ,she was born around 1881.They came to the USA around 1905. How to find their parents? My parents are dead so no information other than this.

Next, I did also find a 1811 Census of isnello, the Di Gesaro name was on that with 17 men listed (with families) listed on that census. We are not sure when & where it was changed to DeGesero.
My other question is I could not find this family name in history before 1811 in Sicily or Italy. It seems they just appeared in 1811 out of nowhere?? Anyone have any ideas?I have tried many quires on the internet and just came up with blanks.

Re: Di Gesaro family Of Isnello,Sicily

Postby natercakes » 25 Feb 2011, 05:27

Well what I have learned so far is that Gesaro is one of the top 10 surnames in Isnello so they must have been around for awhile. Back in those days record keeping wasn't the best. Italy/Sicily was part of the Roman fall and breaking up into a republic and after that things spread out and yadda yadda...

Anyways Isnello is a small town so everyone knows everyone so to speak. My family comes together on two fronts. Italian and Sicilian. My Italian side has the surname Venezia. My Sicilian side has the surname Isnello. Now, I can not find the surname Isnello ANYWHERE and it was very common for the great United States to put down the names of the city the people came from when they couldn't understand what they where saying. Angelo Baptista Isnello is my great grandfather. We can trace our family back to that city but we are not sure from there if the last name was something else or not. For all we know it could have been Gesaro and changed on Ellis Island...

I'm going to do some more digging for you. I'm reading a history of Isnello right now and I'll see if somthing major happened around those dates that could have been a reason your families name suddenly appeared.

P.S. My last name is Lawrence. Somehow my Sicilian/Italian grandmother married an Irishman. All I know is the stories my dad would tell me of great grandpa Isnello and great grandpa Lawrence sitting in front of the sound box listening to the boxing fights (the italians and irish were mortal enemies), one drinking wine the other whiskey and arguing with each other. lol craziness...

Re: Di Gesaro family Of Isnello,Sicily

Postby suanj » 25 Feb 2011, 10:37

Hi, I found:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Bosario Di Gesane
Name: Bosario Di Gesane
[Rosario Di Cesare] ( No: Rosario Di Gesaro right)
Arrival Date: 26 Dec 1908
Birth Year: abt 1881
Birth Location: Palermo
Birth Location Other: isnetto ( Isnello)
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Alice
line 26
wife Domenica Mogavero in Isnello, joining at brother Rosario( same first name??) Di Gesaro in 17 Catherine St New York;
Rosario was in USA from 1903(?.. unreadable) to 1908
pag 1 http://img830.imageshack.us/i/rosario1j.jpg/
pag 2 http://img88.imageshack.us/i/rosario2h.jpg/

maybe Domenica Mogavero arrival:

First Name: Domenica
Last Name: Mogavero
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: Ianello, Sicily
Date of Arrival: Mar 23, 1910
Age at Arrival: 21y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Venezia
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0008
father Paolo Mogavero in Isnello; joining at Rosario Geraci(??? maybe Di Gesaro?) in 718 Strong St Schenectady, Schenectady, New York

Domenica travelling with:

Nicolina Di Gesaro( father Antonio Di Gesaro in Isnello; joining at brother Sebastiano di Gesaro in 718 Strong St Schenectady, Schenectady, New York; I believe that both they was cousins of Rosario Di Gesaro)

Tommaso Mogavero ( joining at son Nicolò Mogavero in Buffalo)

Vincenzo Alberti ( joining at brother in law Rosario Di Gesaro in 718 Strong St Schenectady, Schenectady, New York)...

pag 1 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0008

pag 2 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0008

this arrivals are abt your ancestors?
if you know the right birthdate of Rosario ( it is important for to know the right family; Di Gesaro is a popular surname in Isnello and also it are many Rosario born around 1880), by LDS microfilms of Isnello:

Registri dello stato civile di Isnello (Palermo), 1820-1912 Isnello (Palermo). Ufficio dello stato civile
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0

you can find the birth act and all record helpful for a complete genealogic tree...
Visit my website:

Return to “Italian Genealogy”