Samuele Leoni WWI Italian Army

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4!itbermel

Samuele Leoni WWI Italian Army

Post by 4!itbermel »

Samuele Leoni born about 1898 served and died in the Italian Army in World War I. He was the eldest son/child of my GGP Raffaele Leoni and Maria Grilli Leoni of Meldola, Forli.

His death devastated the family especially my grandmother Norina Leoni who then became the eldest child (she married my grandfather Aurelio Ranieri).

Do you have a source from which I can get a copy of his military service record and death record? Thanks.

Note: I tried to upload his photo but received the message: Sorry, but the maximum filesize for all attachments is reached, please contact the Board Administrator if you have questions.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Samuele Leoni WWI Italian Army

Post by johnnyonthespot »

This thread should help: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15162/

The address for the state archives of Forli is:

Archivio di Stato di Forlì
Via dei Gerolimini n. 6
47100 Forli
Italy

e-mail as-fo@beniculturali.it (remove the spaces)

Image uploads must be smaller than 256kb. For larger items, consider using an external site such as photobucket or imageshak and then posting a link here.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

I searched in thsi database (it's not complete though):

http://www.difesa.it/Templates/OnorCadu ... HINT=Guest

and found no reference for Samuele Leoni...

Are you absolutely sure that Samuele was his first name?
I noticed there is a 1906 arrival manifest for a Raffaele Leoni, age 33, married, from Meldola to Litchfield CT...
He intented to travel with his son Anselmo Leoni but his son's name was crossed out (it means he didn't travel)... it's possible that Samuele was Anselmo Leoni?

link to the 1906 arrival manifest:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0001

Laura
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

here it is the right info:

LEONI SILVERIO son of Raffaele
Soldier of 46th country artillery regiment,
born on 1st february 1896 in Meldola,
military district of forlì, died on 23rd june 1918
in the little camp hospital n. 196, because
wounded while in action

see part of original record

I hope it helps

bye Riccardo
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

pink67 wrote:I searched in thsi database (it's not complete though):

and found no reference for Samuele Leoni...
Laura, I am pretty certain that database only covers WWII.

Carmine
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

ricbru wrote:here it is the right info:

LEONI SILVERIO son of Raffaele
Soldier of 46th country artillery regiment,
born on 1st february 1896 in Meldola,
military district of forlì, died on 23rd june 1918
in the little camp hospital n. 196, because
wounded while in action

see part of original record

I hope it helps

bye Riccardo
Okay, Riccardo - no fair!

You can't post something like that without telling us where you found it! :)
Carmine

pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

From the site I pointed out before:

Notizie sulle sepolture dei Caduti in Guerra

Cognome *
Nome
Anno di Nascita
Luogo Nascita:

Nome: SILVERIO
Cognome: LEONI
Data di Nascita: -

Luogo di Nascita: -

Luogo Sepoltura: FAGARE' - SACRARIO MILITARE
Data Decesso: 22/6/1918
Luogo Decesso: CASALE DEL SILE

Laura :D
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

pink67 wrote:From the site I pointed out before:

Cognome *
Nome
Anno di Nascita
Luogo Nascita:

Hmmm... Guess I was wrong...
Carmine

pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Possible Silverio lived a short time in the U.S.?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0022

Claudio Leoni from Meldola leaving in Italy his wife Maria, travelling with his son Silverio... :?:

Laura
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Here there are some pictures and infos about the cemetery where he is resting, I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

http://www.cimeetrincee.it/sacrari.htm#Il Sacrario Militare di Fagarè della Battaglia
pink67 wrote:From the site I pointed out before:

Cognome *
Nome
Anno di Nascita
Luogo Nascita:

4!itbermel

Post by 4!itbermel »

Laura, Carmine, Riccardo,

Many thanks to each of you for your expertise and interest. I'm just amazed at the gift of information you gave me. And it poses more questions, too. The family lore is Raffaele and son Samuel came to the US to find property and work in Litchfield, Connecticut then return for the family, but upon Samuel's return he was conscripted into Italian Army and died in WWI. So maybe there never was a Samuel but a Silverio instead.

Raffaele and son's name Antelano are Lines 1 and 2 on the Sicilia Genoa-New York arr. 25 Apr 1906, but Antelano did not travel. I never knew of the name Antelano. Raffaele's passage was paid by Alberto FABBRI b1855 Meldola who emigrated to the town of Litchfield, Litchfield County, Connecticut and he paid passage for many townspeople and his relatives (Casadei, Fabbri, Giunchi, Ravaioli, Simoncelli, Strada) from Meldola and my guess is he had work and a place to live for them in Torrington and Litchfield, too. Raffaele's destination was his friend Luigi BISERNI in Litchfield, CT.

I think Raffaele b1872 Bertinoro and Claudio b1875 Meldola are brothers and that is why I want to order a copy from Archivio di Stato di Forli of Luigi di Francesco LEONI Situazione di Famiglia and then I'll get the correct spelling of his mother's name Lucia di Domenico Poradi or Porarti.

Claudio Leoni, son Silverio are lines 22 and 23 on the Berlin Genoa-New York arr. 18 Mar 1913. They traveled with my great uncle Pietro RANIERI line 21 of Meldola who is married to Teodolinda FABBRI in Meldola, destination his brother Aurelio RANIERI in Washington Depot, Litchfield CT. Claudio has a wife Maria in Meldola who I think is Maria BISERNI. Claudio destination is his friend Arriviabala (sp?) FABBRI in Litchfield, CT. I find no record of Claudio or Silverio after their arrival.

It is curious that Raffaele and Claudio each have a son named Silverio.

I research BISERNI and find Luigi BISERNI b1904 Meldola. He is on ship Providence, Napoli-New York, line 30, 16y, single, shoemaker, father Santo in Meldola, arr. 26 May 1921, destination is his uncle Raffaele LEONI in Washington, CT!

Luigi again travels Genoa-New York on Conte Verde, Line 3, 18y, shoemaker, single, arr. 9 Sep 1923, and his destination is his uncle Claudio LEONI in Washington, CT.

Raffaele LEONI is a shoemaker in Meldola and owns a shoe repair store in the center of town in Washington Depot, CT. His wife Maria GRILLI LEONI arrives with their 5 children on Duca di Genova Genoa-New York on 14 Oct 1914 to Litchfield, CT.

So how is Luigi BISERNI related to Raffaele and Claudio LEONI? Luigi's father Santo may have a sister Maria who married Claudio, then Claudio must be related to Raffaele if they're both uncles to Luigi.

I have one more question. Teodolinda FABBRI could not emigrate with my uncle Pete due to illness probably Tuberculosis, so she lived and died ab 1920 in Bertinoro. Her three sons Nino, Mario and Bruno emigrated together as teenagers in 1926 to Harrison, White Plains, Westchester, New York. I want to find out who her parents were so I can order a Situazione di Famiglia on her FABBRI family. Any idea where to find her parent's names?

I will let you know what I find.

Thanks again,
Margi Ranieri
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

mranieri wrote: It is curious that Raffaele and Claudio each have a son named Silverio.
Not necessarily "curious" - could fall under the Italian naming traditions:.
Italian Naming Conventions
Traditionally, Italian parents have chosen their children's names based on the name of a grandparent, choosing names from the father's side of the family first and then from the mother's side. According to Lynn Nelson, author of A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestors, there has been a strong custom in Italy that determines how children are named:

• the first male is named after his paternal grandfather
• the second male is named after his maternal grandfather
• the first female is named after her paternal grandmother
• the second female is named after her maternal grandmother

http://italian.about.com/library/weekly/aa052301a.htm

Did you say Harrison, NY? I was born and raised in Harrison!
Carmine

4!itbermel

Post by 4!itbermel »

That makes sense. I am the first born named after my Irish maternal GM Margaret Keeshan and my middle name is from my Italian paternal G-Grandmother Virginia Tabarri.

So you were born and raised in Harrison - what a small world! Family and friends from Meldola settled in the Silver Lake Park area. On the ship manifest they gave the address of 18 Central Avenue, Silver Lake Park, White Plains, NY.

In 1930 my grandparents Aurelio or Avril b1893 and Norina Ranieri b1899 and children Andrew b1920 and George Bruno Ranieri (my Dad) b1922 lived at 249 Park Avene, Harrison. A few years later Aurelio owned a grocery store called Ranieri's Market or Ranieri's Grocery at 83 Lake Street across the street from Silver Lake Park from about 1940-1950 and they lived above the store aThey later moved to New Preston, Washington, Litchfield, Connecticut.

Family and friends from Meldola lived on Madison Street, Lake View Avenue and Gainsborg Ave.: Carlo and Adelia (Bilancioni) AMADUCCI and their daughters Tomasina "Mazie", Alba and Bianca lived at 29 Madison St in 1929 and on Gainsborg Ave in 1930. On Gainsborg was Tony and Marie STRADA, Guido and Mary STRADA, Romeo and Mary AMADUCCI, and Romeo and Antonia (Bilancioni) BRASCHI.

Two of my Uncle Pete Ranieri's three boys married Amaducci sisters, Nino married Adelia AMADUCCI and Mario married ALba AMADUCCI and Bianca AMADUCCI married Stephan BOSHKOV. In 1956 Mario Ranieri lived at 154 Park Avenue Harrison.

My grandmother Norina's brother Louis and Madeline (Filardi) LEONI lived at 794 Lake Street, Harrison, White Plains; their daughter Maria LEONI b.1930, went to White Plains High School; married Alan EGLER and moved to Ridgefield, CT.

Do you know any of these families?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

mranieri wrote:Raffaele and son's name Antelano are Lines 1 and 2 on the Sicilia Genoa-New York arr. 25 Apr 1906, but Antelano did not travel. I never knew of the name Antelano.
Just my opinion but the correct first name for me is Anselmo.....
Pink67 wrote:I noticed there is a 1906 arrival manifest for a Raffaele Leoni, age 33, married, from Meldola to Litchfield CT...
He intented to travel with his son Anselmo Leoni but his son's name was crossed out (it means he didn't travel)... it's possible that Samuele was Anselmo Leoni?

link to the 1906 arrival manifest:
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0001

Laura
Laura