Geovana Monteveda,Vincenzo Monteveda and Maria Zona

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Morningstar

Geovana Monteveda,Vincenzo Monteveda and Maria Zona

Postby Morningstar » 14 May 2010, 19:38

Hello ,I am looking for help in finding these persons
Geovana Monteveda,Vincenzo Monteveda and Maria Zona espicially the last two. Geovana came to America and changed his name to John Edward Jones and lived in Charleston SC. So don't need to much on him. I have a letter from his mother Maria Zona ,while liveing in Treiste Italy . I believe Vincenzo and Maria were probly born in the 1820's or about. i know there was a brother named Pinni or something it started with a P.
The 18050 census of Charleston SC shows Geavana Monteveda came here at the age of 20 on the steam ship Southern.
Can anyone here possibly help me on this family since I do NOT speak or understand Italian :oops:
Thanks so very much :)

AliceV

Re: Geovana Monteveda,Vincenzo Monteveda and Maria Zona

Postby AliceV » 15 May 2010, 15:39

Wow! I just discover this information myself! I would love to know where you got it! :D
Alice

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 15 May 2010, 19:29

Morningstar wrote:Hello ,I am looking for help in finding these persons
Geovana Monteveda,Vincenzo Monteveda and Maria Zona espicially the last two. Geovana came to America and changed his name to John Edward Jones and lived in Charleston SC. So don't need to much on him. I have a letter from his mother Maria Zona ,while liveing in Treiste Italy . I believe Vincenzo and Maria were probly born in the 1820's or about. i know there was a brother named Pinni or something it started with a P.
The 18050 census of Charleston SC shows Geavana Monteveda came here at the age of 20 on the steam ship Southern.
Can anyone here possibly help me on this family since I do NOT speak or understand Italian :oops:
Thanks so very much :)

Hi, I have some doubt abt the surname spelling..
it could be Monteverde???
I found this record:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about G Monteverde

Name: G Monteverde
Arrival Date: 9 Jun 1849
Birth Year: abt 1834

Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Fortunato

in travel with Joseph Monteverde age 25...
also abt Pinni brother, maybe Pino, diminutive of Giuseppe (Joseph) and that it could match...
Zona is a surname in Trieste....

in this database:
Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s
about Geavana Monteveda
Name: Geavana Monteveda
Year: 1850
Estimated birth year: abt 1830
Place: Charleston, South Carolina

Source Publication Code: 5833.20
Primary Immigrant: Monteveda, Geavana
Annotation: Date and place of mention in New World. Gender, occupation, and country of origin may also be provided.
Source Bibliography: MOTES, MARGARET PECKHAM. Migration to South Carolina: 1850 Census. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 2005.
Page: 143

seeming that your ancestor Geavana ( really in italian spelling is Giovanni) Monteveda ( maybe Monteverde; Monteveda exist not) arrived in 1850 or before.... what other infos you have?
Regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

AliceV

Postby AliceV » 15 May 2010, 22:06

Thank you so much for this great information! I had used the spellings as I had found them - "Geavana" and "Montevede" But is am sure you have the correct spellings. I will just keep these to use when further searching.

The Fortunato arriving New York 9 June 1849 had others with the same last name: "G.B. age 25, Frank age 29, Joseph age 25 and J??? age 15. The last is the one you mentioned, I suppose, as the age is correct. I will follow up on these other names. Perhaps, the Joseph on the ship is the same as the Pinni from the letter.

Again, many, many thanks!!

Alice
Alice

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 16 May 2010, 05:15

Hi Alice, I know not if is the right manifest, seeming that the birthplace was Piemonte area....
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”