Lo PINTO, Francesco m. FICANO, Teresa, 1870s Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
KathyLPV
Rookie
Rookie

Lo PINTO, Francesco m. FICANO, Teresa, 1870s Sicily

Postby KathyLPV » 16 May 2010, 08:39

I am trying to find out about my bis-bisnonno, Francesco Lo PINTO.
All I know is he served in the Bersaglieri, ca 1870s, and he came to the USA in 1900 on the ship EMS with son Giuseppe & a woman (I have the manuscript), but we know nothing of his famiglia! He is one of our biggest "mystery" ancestors. A relative of my bis-bisnonna sent me Teresa's siblings, but with no dates for any of them! I found some of her siblings on LDS, but he is not listed there. This is all I have for him:

Francesco Lo PINTO m Teresa FICANO, ???? in Italy:
1 Teresa, b 14 Nov 1848, Begheria, Sicily. d 31 Dec 1941, Bagheria, Sicily
1 Francesco, b ca 1843, ? Italy, d ca 1928, USA or IT ?
3 sons:
2 Giovanni b 1875 Palermo, d 1963, Palermo IT (nonno mia)
2 Federico b 1879, Revenna, d 1950, NY, USA
2 Guiseppe - b 1885, Naples, d 1935, NYC

Teresa's parents:
1 FICANO Giovanni b ca. 1808, Bagheria, Palermo, IT; d ??, Bagheria, IT
m. Antonia MAGGIORE - b ca. 1818, Bagheria, Palermo, IT; d ?? Bagheria

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Lo PINTO, Francesco m. FICANO, Teresa, 1870s Sicily

Postby ricbru » 16 May 2010, 12:24

Hello, if you want to know about Francesco LO PINTO, you can try to find his marriage record, usually marriage takes place at bride's village (Bagheria).

Also Palermo state archive should have his military record
write only in italian to as-pa@beniculturali.it.

Write to it after you get his marriage record, from where you get several infos about him and her.

Also from Bagheria try to get the copy from her real death record, and request to Bagheria population office if there is any info about where Francesco was resident up to his death.

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
KathyLPV wrote:I am trying to find out about my bis-bisnonno, Francesco Lo PINTO.
All I know is he served in the Bersaglieri, ca 1870s, and he came to the USA in 1900 on the ship EMS with son Giuseppe & a woman (I have the manuscript), but we know nothing of his famiglia! He is one of our biggest "mystery" ancestors. A relative of my bis-bisnonna sent me Teresa's siblings, but with no dates for any of them! I found some of her siblings on LDS, but he is not listed there. This is all I have for him:

Francesco Lo PINTO m Teresa FICANO, ???? in Italy:
1 Teresa, b 14 Nov 1848, Begheria, Sicily. d 31 Dec 1941, Bagheria, Sicily
1 Francesco, b ca 1843, ? Italy, d ca 1928, USA or IT ?
3 sons:
2 Giovanni b 1875 Palermo, d 1963, Palermo IT (nonno mia)
2 Federico b 1879, Revenna, d 1950, NY, USA
2 Guiseppe - b 1885, Naples, d 1935, NYC

Teresa's parents:
1 FICANO Giovanni b ca. 1808, Bagheria, Palermo, IT; d ??, Bagheria, IT
m. Antonia MAGGIORE - b ca. 1818, Bagheria, Palermo, IT; d ?? Bagheria

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 16 May 2010, 13:55

KathyLPV wrote:... he came to the USA in 1900 on the ship EMS with son Giuseppe & a woman (I have the manuscript)...

Hello!
Is this the 1900 manifest?
If you don't think it belongs to your family we could help you look for another one.
Do you have your family's US census records?
Than you
Valarie

30 Aug 1900, SS EMS, Bremen to NY
lines 10-12
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0010

Francesco Lo Pinto 57 (abt 1843)
- last residence San Chirico
(probably San Chirico Nuovo, a comune in the province of Potenza, in the Southern Italian region of Basilicata)
- destination Brooklyn
- joining son Giovanni at 159 President
- disability
wife Giovanna 52 (abt 1848)
- has a possible naturalization notation
son Giuseppe 14 (abt 1886)

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 16 May 2010, 22:14

For reference
Here's a possible 1929 manifest for Teresa Ficano

8 Jul 1929, SS Vulcania, Naples to NY
lines 3-4
page 1
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/335/1929n.jpg
page 2
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9969/192901y.jpg

Teresa Picano (Ficano?) Lo Pinto 80, abt 1849
- widowed
- born in Bagheria
- destination NY NY
- leaving in Palermo brother Rosario Ficano at 24 Piazza Bologni
- in NY 1916 until 5 Dec 1928
- joining son Giovanni Lo Pinto at 2157 Holland Ave

grand child Maria Rosa Lo Pinto 19, abt 1910
- US Citizen

KathyLPV
Rookie
Rookie

Postby KathyLPV » 18 May 2010, 00:15

Thanks to all, will try to respond to each of you, in order:
Ricardo.
1 About "try to find his marriage record" & "try to get the copy from her real death record"
- In 1997 - We PAID someone in Sicily $200 US to find her info , all he got (he said it was all the Govt would allow) was 1 Death Abstract with her birth date, & parents names & year of their birth, & a few postcards!
2 Military Record: I've emailed the current Bersaglieri, but got no response. I have a document, 1870, of his "Mediglia Commemorativa in the Bersaglieri, sent by one of Teresa's relatives that I am in contact with.
3 Francesco came to the US in 1900, & may have stayed here, no one knows.

Valarie: That's him, I have this manuscript already & copied it, though I couldn't make out the name of the "wife" - who isn't his wife, but maybe a cousin or one of his mistresses!!! Don't know about the P, c/b Philly (?) but that is definitely a "verification for naturalization purposes" (I transcribe for the ISTG web site). But I didn't know where S Chirico was ... certainly not Bagheria!

vj - I Have that manuscript too, & at least one other of her as well in 1910, & several that my Grandfather & Father's ships. Some are from Ellis Island, is growing, & fortunately has the manuscripts to see & save on my computer to print! Others from the NYC Fed Archives.

Thanks to all of you for all the info, I will try to send to Bagheria for more data, soon as "funds" allow. This family, Lo PINTO / FICANO is tough to find! But at least I'm in touch with a FICANO descendant.

I thought I joined this group in the 1990s or early 2000s - but several computers later, I'm BacK!
ITA: Palermo Bagheria MAGGIORE, FICANO, Lo PINTO; Otranto Napoli GRASSI, SERGIO, PACILEO, VERDOLINI [VERDOLVIA]; Prato VIGNOLINI, BINI; Pessaro PALAZZI; ACQUISTA, ARCANGELO; IRE BEATTIE; PRUSIA SCHULSKY; HOFF, MAMMELSDORF; NIX, GIESEN; HAUSER, ACKERMAN

Return to “Italian Genealogy”