DiVirgilio/Cordisco/Oddis from Roccaraso & Pietransieri

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mdvukas
Rookie
Rookie

DiVirgilio/Cordisco/Oddis from Roccaraso & Pietransieri

Post by mdvukas »

I am looking for possible relatives from the Roccaraso & Pietransieri areas of Italy. I have many relatives that were victims of the Pietransieri Massacre in 1943.
andreaelena

Re: DiVirgilio/Cordisco/Oddis from Roccaraso & Pietransi

Post by andreaelena »

yes!!!! My family (great-great grandfather and grandmother, great aunt and cousin--who is still living) were all living there. I am currently doing research on it and have my great-great grandfathers diary to help me along (his diary starts in Oct. 1943 through the spring of 1944. His diary includes most of people killed at the Pietransieri Massacre and the Slaughter at D'Aoloiso Farm. Please contact me.
TD'Amico

Re: DiVirgilio/Cordisco/Oddis from Roccaraso & Pietransieri

Post by TD'Amico »

My great grandmother was a Cordisco.. Maria Cordisco who married Luca D’Amico.. They had 5 children Alberto, Alessio, Gialolina, Luciano, and Venturino.. Venturino is my grandfather and was married to Amelia Dibiase… My Grandmother Amelia escaped from the Massacre with my three aunts Diana, Littoria, and Vienna… Would be interesting if you have anymore information….
andreaelena

Post by andreaelena »

Hi there - I'm not at home, so don't have the diary with me right now -- but there is a bit about the Cordiscos in my great-great grandfathers diary. Are any still living, if so where? And do you know where they hid to escape (some when with the SS, others fled to the valley as my family did)?
elizabethrae

Post by elizabethrae »

Hello,

I am of the Oddis family. I have an aunt, uncle and counsins that still reside in Pietransieri. My family also assosiates with individuals having the last name Cordisco and DiVirgilio. I am not sure if they are from same family, but it may be helpful.

What is the nature of your research?

Thank you, Liz
mdvukas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mdvukas »

Hi Liz,
My great grandmother's maiden name was Maria Teresa Oddis. She had a sister (possibly twin sister) named Concetta. The sisters married two brothers named Samuel and Ferdinand DiVirgilio.

Maria had a daughter named Allegranza that was married to a man named Domenico Cordisco. Both Allegranza and Domenico were killed in the Pietransieri Massacre in 1943.

The Cordisco's that remain in Pietransieri are related to me.
I email Anselmo Cordisco. Do you know him?

I would be interested in know if you recognize any of the above.

Diane
KathyD10

Post by KathyD10 »

I am an Oddis. My grandfather,Ercole Oddis, was from Roccaraso. He came from a farming community and he left one brother in Italy who was a sheriff. He came to the U.S. in 1922 at the age of around 14. His other brother already resided in Ohio. A few years before he died in 1977 he returned home. He told my father that his relatives were very poor and that all his nieces and nephews had moved to Rome. I would appreciate if any of this rings a bell with anyone that they would contact me. Thanks.

Kathy
mdvukas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mdvukas »

Hi Kathy,
My great-grandmother's maiden name was Oddis. Her name was Maria Teresa "Oddis". She had a twin sister named Concetta. They married brothers named Ferdinand and Samuel DiVirgilio.

I saw on the Ellis site that your grandfather came to the US on Aug 9,1922 to Delmont, PA. I live about 10 minutes from there! There is a pretty good chance that we could be distantly related. I haven't done much research on the "Oddis" part of our family. I haven't come across anyone to compare notes with.

Diane
KathyD10

Post by KathyD10 »

Diane,
There are two Oddis brothers living in Ohio. I spoke to one about a year ago but decided there wasn't a connection. My grandfather settled in Export Pa. and worked in the coal mines. Unfortunately my father knows very little about his family. He was raised by his maternal grandmother. What else can you tell me about your great grandmother?

Kathy
LennyOddis

Post by LennyOddis »

Hi!
I am the grandson of Gaudenzio Oddis of Roccaraso,Italy.
(Ancestry.com private family tree)

I have been researching the Oddis family and have found a connection to the Cordisco family thru Gaudenzio.(Obit)
He listed Frank Cordisco as his half brother.

I recently found Gaudenzio's mother is Sofia Di Padova. on a 1903 Ships manifest.
Reference a ships manifest arriving at Ellis Island January of 1903.
Sofia Di Padova (age 70), was traveling to Rodi,PA to her husband Gaudenzio Oddis.

Traveling with her were her son Rocco Oddis and daughter-in-law Caterina Bressanelli w son Virgilios (Age 3)
Caterina lists her destination as Rodi,PA to join her husband Gaudenzio Oddis.

I do NOT know Frank Cordisco's fathers name.

-I recently visited the Delmont,PA East View Cemetery which has nine Oddis ... who's were Dario Oddis' parents?
-What is the relationship between Gaudenzio and the Oddis of Delmont?
-Several Oddis & Cordisco boarding with Tristano family in Penn Twnshp-1910 United States Federal Census for Cristofano Cordisco
- Gaudenzio changed names to Mike/Michel sometime between 1908 and 1918-WWII draft doc

-Rodi,PA was a small mining town in the north west suburbs of Pittsburgh,PA... present day Penn Hills,PA.
-Sandy Creek,PA- a coal mine was in this town adjacent to to Rodi,PA. Gaudenzio & Vincenzo Oddis' worked this mine.(Most likely many Cordisco's and other Oddis's did too.)

Gaudenzio& Caterina moved to Martins Ferry,Ohio @ 1916.
Their sons Adam and Patty lived there until death.
Their son James moved to the ClevelandOhio area ...several of his children live there today.

Their son Henry,my father, moved back to Pittsburgh,PA area until death.
Their two daughters, Elizabeth Oddis (Feorene) and Emma Oddis (Piko)
John,George and Jennie died as children.
Virgilios was the oldest but his history is unknown.
Leas and Amelia are two children's names that are associated with Gaudenzio & Caterina but not sure they are alternate names for Elizabeth and Emma.

Let me know if you want to see the Oddis family tree I have on Ancestry.com (need your email to share).
Lenny Oddis
mdvukas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mdvukas »

Hi Lenny,
I am very familiar with East View Cemetery, Rodi and Sandy Creek Mines. My ggm Maria Teresa (Oddis) DiVirgilio is buried there along with my grandparents John G DiVirgilio and Mary Teodoro DiVirgilio.

My family relationship to the Cordisco family is through marriage. My Great Aunt
Allagranza DiVirgilio was married to Domenico Cordisco. They lived in Pietransieri, Italy. (approx 2 miles from Roccaraso). Both of them were killed in the Pietransieri Massacre in 1941. I still have Cordisco family living there since they had 5 children. There are also Cordisco family of mine in Elizabeth,Pa and Los Angeles, CA. They are all decendents of Allagranza and Domenico.

I would love to see your Oddis tree. I have almost nothing on my ggm Oddis family. I am planning on obtaining her death certificate hoping to find her parents names listed. She came to the US in 1935 and by that time my grandparents had moved from Export to Wyano,PA. They later moved to Penn Township and remained until they passed.

I also have some ties to the DiPadova and Tristani families through marriage.

My email is mdvukas@yahoo.com

Diane