Looking for anything

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MPrevitera

Looking for anything

Postby MPrevitera » 20 May 2010, 10:07

My last name seems pretty uncommon. So its pretty hard to find anything...

Anyone know anything about the name Previtera?

RizRich

Re: Looking for anything

Postby RizRich » 20 May 2010, 11:06

I went to grammar school with Previtera's in Southern New Jersey.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 20 May 2010, 11:07

Hello and welcome to this forum-

If you search the surname on www.familysearch.org, you will see entries with the surname spelled as you have as well as entries with it spelled Prevetera and Privitera. I believe the latter is the correct or original spelling of the surname.

If you go to the website www.familysearchlabs.org and go to browse our collections. When the maps come up, click on Europe. You can then go down and see that they have some Italian record info now online. If you search the surname spelled as Privitera, you will see a lot of specific information-possibly something related to your ancestry.

Also, if you post specifically the names of the individuals whose ancestry you are researching, and what you already know, those of us on this forum will be better able to help you.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 20 May 2010, 11:10

PREVITERA is one of many variations of the base surname PRETI meaning Priests which is Prete in Italian which in turn is derived from the Latin PRAEBYTER from Greek Presbyteros.

PREVITERA is the alteration centered in Catania and Messina reflecting its ties to Byzantium and Greece. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”