Surname Scimia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chip368

Surname Scimia

Postby chip368 » 10 Apr 2004, 03:46

I'm trying to piece together my history and can't get past my great-grandparents because my grandparents are deceased and their siblings dislike us.

Enrico Scimia and Assunta DeAnglelis were husband and wife. Assunta was born on July 13, 1898 and died in September of 1976 in Buffalo, NY. My grandfather, Henry Joseph Scimia (Enrico II) told me that his father or grandfather (Enrico I's father) was a tavern-keeper from Abruzzi, Italy and came directly to Buffalo, NY - before most of the Italian immigration. I don't know if that really was possible to go directly to Buffalo bypassing Ellis Island/Philadelphia and other eastern ports.

I have seen the website ellisisland.org that most everyone with the surname scimia were from the same province in italy. How can I find out how to piece the relationships if I don't know the names of the actual immigrants? I know that they disliked the census, social security numbers, etc. because my grandfather didn't get an SSN until he was middle-aged.

Help, please...

Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Surname Scimia

Postby Essgee » 15 Apr 2004, 03:42

chip368 wrote:I'm trying to piece together my history and can't get past my great-grandparents because my grandparents are deceased and their siblings dislike us.

Enrico Scimia and Assunta DeAnglelis were husband and wife. Assunta was born on July 13, 1898 and died in September of 1976 in Buffalo, NY. My grandfather, Henry Joseph Scimia (Enrico II) told me that his father or grandfather (Enrico I's father) was a tavern-keeper from Abruzzi, Italy and came directly to Buffalo, NY - before most of the Italian immigration. I don't know if that really was possible to go directly to Buffalo bypassing Ellis Island/Philadelphia and other eastern ports.

I have seen the website ellisisland.org that most everyone with the surname scimia were from the same province in italy. How can I find out how to piece the relationships if I don't know the names of the actual immigrants? I know that they disliked the census, social security numbers, etc. because my grandfather didn't get an SSN until he was middle-aged.

Help, please...

There is a George W. Daege, Jr. who has some information on this family. According to his post, Henry Joseph Scimia was born in 1926 and died in Riverside, CA in 1999. He married in 1949 a Geralidine Grace Muschitz and had : Susan, who married a Daege, Enrico III, and Francis.

His information was posted in 2002 and he listed his e-mail at gsdaege@msn.com Whether or not it is still valid, I am not sure. I looked through the census and was unable to find a Henry or Enrico Scimia. However, there should be some info in 1930 census...but I cannot access...the name must be mispelled.

I would start with the obituary for Henry J. and get a copy of his death records from California. Then I would start working backwards. If you don't speak to his family, you must at least know the name of brothers and sisters that we could attempt to track down. Cemetery records might help. Once you get his father's date of death, you can get a certificate for that and once again work backwards.

I would think that since George published his family tree on the Internet, he would be willing to help you out. It is worth the chance and you have nothing to loose! Hope you find something....good luck.

kinakat

Postby kinakat » 09 Dec 2008, 17:53

chip368 wrote:I'm trying to piece together my history and can't get past my great-grandparents because my grandparents are deceased and their siblings dislike us.

Help, please...

Ciao! I cannot believe it.. just was asked by my dad to research Enrico Scimia, the brother of his grandad Achille, from Bagno Grande, near L'aquila, Abbruzzo (IT) telling me that there might be lots of descendents as Enrico had many sons and daughters. He indeed lived in Buffalo. I am Valeria Scimia, I live in Amsterdam, NL, but am from Roma. Could you maybe help me finding more info as I am new to this thing. I have som pix from the villageEnrico came from.. it's superbeautiful :: not as many pix here but it'll do http://www.flickr.com/photos/anike/sets ... 322807245/
ciao ciao, Valeria

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 09 Dec 2008, 19:26

Hi Valeria,
Welcome to the Forum!

Here’s a possible 1917 WWI Draft Registration Card
(from ancestry. com)

Enrico Scimia
331 Seneca Street
Buffalo, Erie County, NY
Born 20 Feb 1888
In Aquilla (L'aquila?) Italy
Bartender at 331 Seneca
Married with 4 year old child

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 09 Dec 2008, 19:40

Possibly related obituary
from GenealogyBank

Buffalo News, The (NY) - June 21, 1999
Deceased Name: ENRICO HENRY SCIMIA, RETIRED BUILDER, INN OWNER
A memorial service for Enrico Henry "Hank" Scimia, 73, of Riverside, Calif., a retired custom builder and once a co-owner of Clardon House Motor Inn in Williamsville, will be held at 7:30 p.m. today in First Baptist Church of Marilla, 11651 Bullis Road.

Scimia, who was born in Buffalo, died Tuesday (June 15, 1999) in Kaiser Permanente Hospital, Riverside, after a long illness.

Known for his ability to entertain, Scimia was a partner in Scimia Custom Builders when he became co-owner of Clardon House, which included one of the area's popular nightspots in the 1960s and early 1970s. Among the entertainers who stopped or performed there were Frank Sinatra and Wayne Newton. He sold the business in 1976.

He lived in Darien from 1960 to 1979, when he moved to California. In addition to entertaining, he enjoyed fishing and deer hunting. He had many friends in the entertainment business as well as the construction business.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, the former Geraldine Grace Muschitz; a daughter, Susan Daege of Bennington; a son, Francis of Alexander; five sisters, Anna Belotta of Clarence, Palma of Rochester and Mary Nappo, Fay Prezioso and Rosemary Calvaneso, all of Williamsville; two brothers, Anthony of Riverside and Richard of Cheektowaga; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Copyright (c) 1999 The Buffalo News

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 09 Dec 2008, 20:33

Ciao Valeria,

this newspaper article is funny.... it seems Enrico Scimia (owner of a Drinkery at Seneca Street in Buffalo) on 1924 was arrested during the prohibition just for a little amount of Whisky :lol:

here is (third column):

http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... esszd0.pdf

Laura

kinakat

Postby kinakat » 09 Dec 2008, 20:45

pink67 wrote:Ciao Valeria,

this newspaper article is funny.... it seems Enrico Scimia (owner of a Drinkery at Seneca Street in Buffalo) on 1924 was arrested during the prohibition just for a little amount of Whisky :lol:

here is (third column):

http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... esszd0.pdf

Laura

ahahaha the old abbruzzese drinking habits ;-)

kinakat

Postby kinakat » 10 Dec 2008, 08:28

vj wrote:Hi Valeria,
Welcome to the Forum!

Here’s a possible 1917 WWI Draft Registration Card
(from ancestry. com)

Enrico Scimia
331 Seneca Street
Buffalo, Erie County, NY
Born 20 Feb 1888
In Aquilla (L'aquila?) Italy
Bartender at 331 Seneca
Married with 4 year old child

Niiice info! Thanks everybody. And if anyone is descendent from him, we're looking from Italy. From Enrico's brother side....
=)

wcm14221

Postby wcm14221 » 02 Jul 2011, 01:44

I worked in the kitchen of the Clardon Rest. between 1964 and 1967. At the time Pam was kitchen boss and Frank[now deceased]ran the dining room,all banquets, and about anything nobody else wanted to do. Enrico, Franks father owned Scimia's Zoo on Seneca St. It had a very interesting past and many infamous people from the past visited the Clardon at times. As I remember the brothers who worked at The Clardon were Giacomo(Jocko), Frank, Richard(the youngest), Hank, the sisters were Mary, Rosemary, Pam can't remember others names. I know Pam last was in Henrietta NY.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”