Naming Conventions for Married Women

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
shuter88

Naming Conventions for Married Women

Postby shuter88 » 21 May 2010, 20:21

I am looking at records on film at the Family History Center. I stumbled across a 10-year index for deaths and am a little confused.
Let me tell what I think I understand first:

Fontanella Gio fu Pietro Francesco means Giovanni Fontanella, son of Pietro Francesco Fontanella (deceased)

Fontanella Guido di Carlo means Guido Fontanella son of Carlo (living)
But, here's where I'm fuzzy:
Sometimes, it appears a person has two last names, like
Fontanella Cappone Ernesto di Gio
Does that mean Ernesto, son of Giovanni Fontanella and Signora Cappone? Or is Fontanella the mother's name and Cappone the father's? Or is Cappone not a second last name at all?
Also, for women who died married or widowed, is the last name quoted their maiden name or married name?

Or this:
Fontanella Cesa moglie Fontanella which means Cesa Fontanella, wife of Fontanella. But Cesa has been a last name in these records.

Any help on the multiple name thing would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig

Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Naming Conventions for Married Women

Postby Bette » 22 May 2010, 04:04

Just to answer one of your questions....the legal name of a woman in Italy is her maiden name. As far as I know, her death record should be under her maiden name. Anyone is free to correct me, if I am wrong.

You say you are looking at the 10-year index. If the death records are on the same film, perhaps reading them would make it more clear. Or if you had some other record of these people, e.g. the birth record, that might show whether they had a double name or not.

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Naming Conventions for Married Women

Postby maestra36 » 22 May 2010, 06:07

Yes, women in the Italian death records are always under their maiden names.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”