Aniello Fernandes

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Aniello Fernandes

Postby chrisdamato » 22 May 2010, 19:50

I've run into a snag that I'm hoping everyone may be able to assist me with. It has to do with my grandmother and great grandfather. My great grandfather Aniello Fernandes married Antonette Massanelli in approx 1910. We always thought they had three kids, Samuel, Rose (my grandma), and George. According to her, Antonette passed away in 1917 from influenza. For some reason, I had a 1920 year of death. Recently, I came across the 1920 census and found a Fernandes family with wife Antonette, and kids named Sam, Rose, and George. All ages match what we know.

Now for the monkey wrench. First, my great grandfather is listed as Louis, not Aniello. Second, there is another daughter named Mary. Nobody ever knew about her. Not even the oldest kid, Samuel, ever mentioned her.

Basically, I am trying to confirm that this is really the proper family and not one of the craziest coincidences. Also, I'm hoping to shed light on this new sibling.

oilman19
Master
Master

Re: Aniello Fernandes

Postby oilman19 » 22 May 2010, 20:10

If your family was like mine, being off by 3 years for a death would not be uncommon. Since it was in U.S., I would pursue the death certificate of Antonette. Deaths of babies were frequently not discussed by the older folks either due to bad memories or in respect for the lost child. Wrong names (errors in general) are quite common on census records.
This could very well be your family. You will have to prove (or disprove) it. There would also be a death cert for baby Mary.

Good luck,

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Postby chrisdamato » 22 May 2010, 20:21

Appreciate it. I have submitted a request for Antonette's death certificate. However, I only asked for a search of 1920-21. I'm afraid they won't find anything. My father requested a search for baby Mary's death certificate. I will keep people posted.

chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Postby chrisdamato » 22 May 2010, 20:22

I'm also having some trouble finding Aniello's immigration manifest. Used SteveMorse.org but no success.

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 22 May 2010, 20:42

Possible 1907 arrival manifest From Ellisisland.org (last name and first name are inverted)

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0013

Aniello Fernando, age 17, single, form Conca della Campania (Caserta Province - Campania region), to NY to join his sister Rosina....

Laura

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 22 May 2010, 20:45

I tried Ellis Island for your ggm Massanelli, but no luck. Fernandes doesn't seem to be very common as an Italian name. Practically all of the Ellis Island entries seem to be Spanish or Portuguese. Could it be spelled differently?

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 22 May 2010, 20:48

Wow Laura, you are amazing. We must have overlapped.
Good work.

Jim
Jim

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 22 May 2010, 20:49

Aniello's sister?

Arrival December 24, 1907:

Clorinda Fernandes, female, single, age 17 , joining her sister Rosina living on 77 Thompson Street, leaving her father Saverio in Conca della Campania....

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0006
page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0006

Laura

Grazie Jim!! :D

edit to add...
Possible Aniello's father Saverio's arrival on 1910:

Saverio Fernandes, age 60, widower, last residence in Italy Conca (della campania) leaving there his son Desiderio and joining his daughter Rosina on Thompson street. Place of birth Giugliano (in Campania - Napoli Province - Campania region)

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 22 May 2010, 21:11

Looks like all the Fernandes family form Conca della Campania moved to NYC....

1912 arrival manfiest for Desiderio Fernandes, male age 27, married, from Conca della Campania to NYC to join his father Saverio on Sullivan street(leaving nobody in Italy), travelling with his wife Raffaella Cinquegrana (age 35) and children Luisa (age 2) and Saverio (maybe a few months)

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0009
page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0009

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 22 May 2010, 21:22

My great grandfather Aniello Fernandes married Antonette Massanelli in approx 1910.

I found this interesting record on Italgen.org:
http://www.italiangen.org/vitalreclist.stm

Groom:
Fernandez Aniello May 12 1912 Manhattan Certificate: 11611
Bride was:
Aragusa Antonetta May 12 1912 Manhattan Certificate: 11611

Laura

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 22 May 2010, 21:44

On that same index Italgen.org, there is a death record for Mary fernandes, age 1yr, died 27 Jan 1920. This may be the baby Mary.

Great work, Laura. You find the tough ones.

Jim
Jim

chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Postby chrisdamato » 22 May 2010, 23:08

Unbelievable!!! Jim and Laura, you are both a Godsend!!!

The manifests for Clorinda, Desiderio, and Saverio were in my possession already. However, Aniello's manifest is new to me. I was unable to find it because his name was listed as last name Aniello, first name Fernando. That threw me a curve.

Laura, that marriage record is quite interesting. Not familiar with the Aragusa name though. My guess is that it's somebody else. You never know though.

Regarding the death record for Mary, does it give parents names??

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 22 May 2010, 23:24

Not in this index. The dates seem to make sense.
I think there is another NYC death index. I'm not sure if it provides parents names. Someone may know.

Jim
Jim

chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Postby chrisdamato » 23 May 2010, 01:14

Is there any particular reason why I can't find Antonette's death certificate on the Italgen.org site? I found her mother's death cert, but not hers. I even typed only her last name and came up with a bunch of Fernandes, including one of Aniello's sisters, but not Antonette.

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 23 May 2010, 10:09

Hi Chris,
This may be a stretch, but, I found Anna Fernandes, age 30, died 14 Feb 1920 in Manhattan.
I know Anna was in common use for Antonette. Is there a date on that census report you found? Could she have been alive when it was taken?
As far as your question is concerned, it is rhetorical. Any response would be theoretical, at best. I don't even have a good guess for you. Somehow, as you continue your research, some of these questions do get answered. You saw some of the amazing info that Laura was able to find for you. Hopefully, you have been provided additional clues that will take you a bit further in your quest.
Much luck to you.

Jim
Jim

Return to “Italian Genealogy”