If I get citizenship, what about my dad?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mervirgo

If I get citizenship, what about my dad?

Postby mervirgo » 25 May 2010, 16:43

Hi all,

Not to get too ahead of myself here, but I've started the long process to try to get my citizenship, and I had a question about my father.

I'm applying for jure sanguinis, through my dad-->grandfather. So I'm sending off for all of these various documents, but the thought occurred to me, should I be asking for second copies of everything so that my DAD can also apply? He'd also like his dual citizenship, we just didn't realize we were eligible until last week! Or is there an easier way for him to do it once I'm a citizen?

Thanks so much!

Amanda

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: If I get citizenship, what about my dad?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 May 2010, 17:16

Where (which consulate) are you applying? Would your father be applying at the same consulate?

(you must apply at the consulate which serves the are including your legal residence)

If you both reside in the same area, it may be simpler for your father to make the formal application. If you are in one of the more reasonable consular jurisdictions (New York and Los Angeles come to mind for this purpose), then immediately after your father's citizenship has been approved he can "register the birth" of any of his children, no matter what thier ages (you included). This process usually takes no more than a week or so, after which you/they can obtain an Italian passport.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

mervirgo

Postby mervirgo » 25 May 2010, 17:18

Interesting. Well, I actually live in Italy already -- in Rome. My dad lives in Florida, and his consulate would be Miami.

What do you think?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 May 2010, 17:20

PS: Depending on the consulate, both you and your father may be able to apply together, in which case you would share documents; no extras required.

Some consulates will not do this when an adult child is involved; New York would not allow me to include my then 22 year-old son, for example. However, I was able to register his birth as mentioned above immediately after my own citizenship was approved.

Is your mother still in the picture? If your parent's married prior to April 27, 1983, then your mother will automatically become an Italian citizen as soon as your father's application has been approved. I believe this applies even if your parents are no longer married.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 May 2010, 17:26

mervirgo wrote:Interesting. Well, I actually live in Italy already -- in Rome. My dad lives in Florida, and his consulate would be Miami.

What do you think?

So, you will be applying in Comune di Roma? Or, in a smaller comune near to Rome?

You may actually have a faster overall response than your father would have in Miami, so I would think you should apply first. Honestly, there are many possibilities... for example, how difficult would it be for your father to spend a few months in the Rome area with you?

You may want to check out the ExpatsInItaly boards ( http://expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum/viewforum.php?f=2 ). This subject - applying in Italy - has been dealt with very thouroughly there.
Carmine

mervirgo

Postby mervirgo » 25 May 2010, 17:28

I'd be applying to the Comune di Roma. Only just started gathering documents so a long way off yet, but as I was sending away for them, I was thinking gee... should I be asking for second copies for my dad too?

Wouldn't be hard for him to spend time in Rome. How would that help, though? He'd have to go through the whole document gathering etc. process himself too, right?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 May 2010, 18:22

Amanda, what is your current situation in Rome? Are you on a student visa, or a simple 90 day tourist stay?
Carmine

mervirgo

Postby mervirgo » 26 May 2010, 09:31

I'm on a student visa, but should be getting my permesso di lavoro soon.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 26 May 2010, 11:39

So, it sounds like you may be able to pull off residing legally in Italy for three years?

If so, and if the usual jure sanguins route ends up being blocked for you, then I am quite certain you could go the shortened three year naturalization route. It requires that you can prove you have an Italian ancestor "up to the 2nd degree" - which would be your grandfather, who was most definitely born in Italy and thus at one time an Italian citizen.

Quoting from "How To Apply":

3. Naturalizzazione requirements include: 10 years of legal residence; sufficient income; absence of criminal record; renunciation of original citizenship (where foreseen). the number of years can be reduced to: 3 years of legal residence for descendents of former Italian citizens by birth, up to the 2nd degree, and for foreigners born in Italian national territory; 4 years of legal residence for citizens of European Community Member States; 5 years of legal residence for displaced persons or refugees, as well as for legal-age foreigners adopted by Italian citizens; 7 years of legal residence as the child of an Italian parent; no period of residence is required for foreigners who have served the State for a period of at least 5 years, even abroad. Application for naturalisation must be addressed to the President of the Republic (Presidente della Repubblica) and presented to the Prefecture in the Province of residence.

http://www.ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/Am ... tadinanza/

Your grandfather would count as "up to the 2nd degree" thus you qualify for the three year residency period.
Carmine

Return to “Italian Genealogy”