Names in Italian B,M,D Indexes are getting Confusing

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Names in Italian B,M,D Indexes are getting Confusing

Postby Lili2 » 25 May 2010, 23:40

Hi Im researching the Birth Marriage and Death Indexes and records of Church Records in Fiumefreddo di Sicilia. The indexes are a great source of info and a "quick" way of finding family names. The records Im searching are dated from about 1740-1830 for Births and Deaths and from1763-1910 for Marriages.

I know this was never going to be easy but what is confusing me most is that the surnames of the wives dont always match. So for example I can establish that the person belongs to my family by the husbands name and date correlating however I am finding the surname of the wife is often different. The first name will match but not the surname.

I know that second marriages were common. So in trying to work this out does anyone know what the trend was in Italy? Ive always been told women keep their maiden names but Im finding that this isnt always the case. Sometimes the records are showing the same surname for the married couple. Or that a woman will keep her 1st husband's name when she remarries.

An eg. Vincenza Currenti married Alfio Mudo`1811
Previously she was married to Giuseppe Gullo
All references to her before her second marriage were as Vincenza Currenti then after her 2nd marriage all references (except her marriage record) became Vincenza Gullo.

Any ideas or experience that can enlighten me?
Thanks, Lili
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Names in Italian B,M,D Indexes are getting Confusing

Postby liviomoreno » 26 May 2010, 05:05

In Italy women maintain their maiden name after married.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”