Cacco and Glavina surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Glavina

Cacco and Glavina surname

Postby Glavina » 07 Jun 2010, 18:32

Hello all,

I posted some time ago about my search about the "Glavina" surname. I was in doubt abouth either my ascendent was italian or croatian, and where he really came from.
Well, I found out that my ancestor was born in Padova... I have the exact birth date, name of his parents and even got his birth certificate from the Comune of Padova. But, as you guys know, this genealogy thing is addictive.

Now I'm searching for the parents of my ancestor, Giovanni Glavina and Irene Cacco. Glavina is actually a croatian surname, but I can't seen to find the connection so far. Giovanni and Irene were married and emigrated to Brazil in 1889, with their 14 years old son (Ernesto Glavina, my ancestor). I know, based on gens.labo.net website, that "Cacco" surname is from Veneto region and Glavina is croatian, but is spread around the area of Dalmacia, Istria and the bordering cities of Italy.

Do you guys have any tips on how can I found the marriage record of Giovanni and Irene? Does it make easier to find the birth record of both?

I already searched in many ways... using the mormons website, genealogy forums and other websites and nothing found until now.

sorry for the long post and thanks in advance,
Leonardo

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Cacco and Glavina surname

Postby johnnyonthespot » 07 Jun 2010, 18:58

The most obvious question is, did you make an inquiry at Comune di Padova regarding the marriage act of Giovanni Glavina and Irene Cacco?

Before the age of modern birth control methods (in particular, "The Pill"), children often followed within a year of marriage. Since at least one of the Glavina children (your ancestor) was born in Padova, there is a good chance that the parents were wed there as well.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 07 Jun 2010, 19:04

Also, the Italian telephone directory has a single listing for a Glavina in Padova; http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... &dv=padova

You may find it helpful to write this person and inquire as to whether she might be a relative and can fill in some of the many blanks in your family history.

By the way, the same site shows many Cacco's in Padova. Again, it may be worthwhile to write to a few of them and see what turns up.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 07 Jun 2010, 19:10

Okay, what the heck, one more item:

On the ExpatsInItaly board just today, an American grad student currently in Padova for a few months of research is looking to make a few friends in the area.

Perhaps you could con her into doing some follow-up research for you? :)

See http://expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum/vie ... 34&t=12412
Carmine

Glavina

Postby Glavina » 07 Jun 2010, 21:10

Thanks for the tips johnny.
I have requested the marriage certificate, but still no answer. :P

In the pagine bianche the only result is one "Gravina". There are quite a lot of "Gravinas", but "Glavinas" not too much. Anyway, I'll write her. =]

Thanks again,
Leonardo

Return to “Italian Genealogy”