NYC Death Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

NYC Death Records

Postby chrisdamato » 09 Jun 2010, 23:11

I have been trying to find information on the death for my great grandmother. There are so many conflicting reports on the date of her death. My grandma said her mom died of influenza and we assumed the year was about 1918. However, I recently came across the 1920 census with her on it. When I looked up death records from NYC, I found an Anna Fernandez that was the correct age. She died only 16 days after the census report was taken.

I'm not sure if this is the right person and I was hoping to avoid being charged for a death certificate for somebody I'm not related to. Are there ways of getting info from NYC without paying? All I need is one or both parents names from the certificate to confirm. Once confirmed, I will gladly purchase.

Squigy
Master
Master

Re: NYC Death Records

Postby Squigy » 10 Jun 2010, 01:13

chrisdamato wrote:I have been trying to find information on the death for my great grandmother. There are so many conflicting reports on the date of her death. My grandma said her mom died of influenza and we assumed the year was about 1918. However, I recently came across the 1920 census with her on it. When I looked up death records from NYC, I found an Anna Fernandez that was the correct age. She died only 16 days after the census report was taken.

I'm not sure if this is the right person and I was hoping to avoid being charged for a death certificate for somebody I'm not related to. Are there ways of getting info from NYC without paying? All I need is one or both parents names from the certificate to confirm. Once confirmed, I will gladly purchase.

I doubt they will give parents names, as this is all people are looking for a lot of times. If you have her exact date of birth, perhaps you can use this to confirm the record.

chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Postby chrisdamato » 10 Jun 2010, 12:06

I have a month and year for date of birth. I also know her parents names. That's why I'm hoping there is a way to ask them if it's the person I'm looking for.

It would be nice if I could just say to them "Is the mother listed on the death certificate named Rosa Esposito?" If they say yes, then I can purchase it from them.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 10 Jun 2010, 12:13

There is no way the NYC municipal archives will do the search without you paying for the document. Maybe one of these days the info will be available on familysearchlabs.org where the Mormons already have some information from the NYC vital records.

chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Postby chrisdamato » 11 Jun 2010, 00:03

That's really frustrating. The last thing I want to do is pay my hard earned money for a document pertaining to someone I'm not at all related to.

carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Postby carmine1917 » 10 Jul 2010, 12:59

In the NY Public library on 42nd street in NYC there is a death index book.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Jul 2010, 13:55

chrisdamato wrote:... My grandma said her mom died of influenza and we assumed the year was about 1918.

A minor detail perhaps, but people - especially the young and the elderly - die of influenza every year, not just during pandemics.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Violam
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Violam » 10 Jul 2010, 15:58

I have my Mom's little brother who died in that year of the same thing. I was able to get birth and death..I was so concentrated on the birth and not getting any where..as I was told, which is true, that they is nothing before the birth..start for the death cert. and that will bring you to the birth..it helped. I have both. it was also in the big out break in 1918, in N.Y. I am notw trying to g=find where he is buried..he death cert. says, St. Mary's, but they say no! Where could he be and did they bury those people in other areas as I heard they were afraid that the germ, even after death could be caught. My Grand afther had 6 plots in that cemetary and none of them is the little boy..where could he be.
"Walk lightly on Mother Earth"

chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Postby chrisdamato » 10 Jul 2010, 19:48

Try calling the cemetery directly and asking them for a list of all persons buried in a particular plot. I have just recently found several family plots that have more people in them than are written on the tombstone.

Worth a shot.

Violam
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Violam » 10 Jul 2010, 21:25

Thanks, but I do have that list already..my 'Pa' bought 6 plots, 4 are used and two left..do you know anything about buring people in a reg. cemetary that had the influenza? Could there be a 'special' place they put those people?

Violam
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Violam » 10 Jul 2010, 22:39

Ok, I will give them another call.

chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Postby chrisdamato » 12 Jul 2010, 00:38

In my family, the children who died young are all buried in a separate plot from the rest of the family. I don't know if that was commonplace back then, but you may find that the same holds true for your family.

Violam
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Violam » 12 Jul 2010, 03:04

R u meaning you had some die in the epidemic too?

chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Postby chrisdamato » 12 Jul 2010, 16:34

No, they all didn't die of influenza. They just happened to have a separate plot for all of the children who died very young.

Violam
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Violam » 12 Jul 2010, 17:42

Hum, I see, will have to check this out.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”