Choosing a Mayor in the 14th & 15th Century

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Choosing a Mayor in the 14th & 15th Century

Postby ajcris13 » 10 Jun 2010, 22:18

I was wondering if anyone knows how Mayors were selected in Italy during the 14th and 15th Centuries. For example was it an appointment, did they have to be a noblemen etc?

Artie C.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Choosing a Mayor in the 14th & 15th Century

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Jun 2010, 22:54

The place we call "Italy" today did not exist before 1861. Prior to unification, the landmass was home to several kingdoms and other political manifestations, no doubt each of which did these things differently.

Which begs the question, what part of "Italy" are you inquiring about?

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ajcris13 » 10 Jun 2010, 23:03

The town of Tropea around 1500.

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 10 Jun 2010, 23:08

This is a good question, one that I meant to ask myself, as my great X3/4 grandfather was said to be a sindaco (mid 19th century).

Carmine, would you know what it took to be mayor around 1845 in the province of Campobasso, Molise?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Jun 2010, 23:55

Squigy wrote:Carmine, would you know what it took to be mayor around 1845 in the province of Campobasso, Molise?

Golly gee, I haven't the slightest idea! :D

I just wanted to point out that there were most likely different procedures in the various kingdoms/city-states. I strongly suspect that mayors were appointed and served at the pleasure of the king or regional governor, but that is just a guess.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 11 Jun 2010, 03:28

johnnyonthespot wrote:
Squigy wrote:Carmine, would you know what it took to be mayor around 1845 in the province of Campobasso, Molise?

Golly gee, I haven't the slightest idea! :D

I just wanted to point out that there were most likely different procedures in the various kindowms/city-states. I strongly suspect that mayors were appointed and served at the pleasure of the king or regional governor, but that is just a guess.

:lol: Oh, that's fine. I'll look around. Thanks anyway!

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 11 Jun 2010, 03:32

johnnyonthespot wrote: I strongly suspect that mayors were appointed and served at the pleasure of the king or regional governor, but that is just a guess.

I think that's true. I notice the length of their terms are erratic. Sometimes they're as short as a year, sometimes they're several years. I suspect this has to do with how well they are liked by, as you said, the king/governers.

ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ajcris13 » 11 Jun 2010, 04:24

Hi Squigy,

Yes, I noticed that too. For example my ancestor seems to have shared a year with another person. Which one of your ancestor was the mayor of Campobasso; one of my distant cousins was the mayor in 1820’s.

Artie C.

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 11 Jun 2010, 04:36

ajcris13 wrote:Hi Squigy,

Yes, I noticed that too. For example my ancestor seems to have shared a year with another person. Which one of your ancestor was the mayor of Campobasso; one of my other distant cousins was the mayor in 1820’s.

Artie C.

Well, very possibly (I'm not sure yet, but there is a good chance) Eugenio Grimaldi (served 1846-1853) is my great X4 grandfather. This must be verified, however.

I have, too, noticed a few people leaving office the same year they assume it. My guess is many of them get in office but can't quite "cut the mustard". Eugenio, for instance, was mayor for seven years, while his predecessor was only mayor for one.

ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ajcris13 » 13 Jun 2010, 00:13

Squigy wrote:
ajcris13 wrote:Hi Squigy,

Yes, I noticed that too. For example my ancestor seems to have shared a year with another person. Which one of your ancestor was the mayor of Campobasso; one of my other distant cousins was the mayor in 1820’s.

Artie C.

Well, very possibly (I'm not sure yet, but there is a good chance) Eugenio Grimaldi (served 1846-1853) is my great X4 grandfather. This must be verified, however.

I have, too, noticed a few people leaving office the same year they assume it. My guess is many of them get in office but can't quite "cut the mustard". Eugenio, for instance, was mayor for seven years, while his predecessor was only mayor for one.
My ancestor was Francesco DeSocio. Our mutual friend, John A., told me he was my GGMs third cousin (pretty distant). Any way I did a little research and found that the office of mayor was only created in some parts of southern Italy during the age of Charles the III. Before this it was administered by a provincial government of administrators who worked on behalf and in the interests of the Count or Duke. The holders of these positions (Secreti e Giurati) were lower noblemen and bourgeois. When the Office of Mayor was created, the people that were appointed to this position were wealthy landowners , wealthy merchants and lower noblemen. This is only from some basic research. I agree with you, I think that their term lasted as long as they were liked or were successful.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”