Di Benedetto or Failla from Licodea Eubea, Sicily, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
21 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: Di Benedetto or Failla from Licodea Eubea, Sicily, Italy

Postby Trisha378 » 08 May 2014, 23:09

HI,

I tried sending you a reply to your post, however, since I don't see it, I can't be sure you got it. I just joined this website. So I may have done something wrong. But I wanted you to know that my family also comes from Licodia Eubea. A couple of names sound familiar to me. If you get this message,
then post it and I will tell you what I know.

Trisha378
Trisha378

Postby sabbyfioretti » 09 May 2014, 12:01

Hi Tricia. I am away on holidays at the moment.I will be back in a couple of weeks, so I will send you the info then if that's okay with you. Hopefully we can help each other.
Thanks for contacting me.
Regards Sabby Fioretti
Many thanks
Sabby
Melbourne, Australia
sabbyfioretti

Postby Trisha378 » 11 May 2014, 23:06

Hi,

I went over the family tree my sister wrote with my grandfather's help, however, he was 93. He remembered a lot but sometimes he would forget a first name sometimes a last name. Everybody was related in Licodia, either directly by blood or through marriage. Marrying first cousins was more the norm. My grandfathers were brothers, my mother never changed her name. So the Faillas that I'm related to I have this. My maternal great grandmother was Concetta Failla married Francesco Tillona and had five children. My great grandfather's eldest sister Concetta Tillona married Carlo Failla and had two children, Giuseppe and Margherita. Salvatore Failla did live on Clothes a large men's clothing factory. My uncle Thomas F. Tillona was Vice President. Last I know that a family of Faillas that we were related did move to Australia. That's it for Failla.

I saw the name Mannuzza. My maternal great grandmother Antonia Mannuzza married Gaetano Tillona. Actually they had thirteen children, but seven lived. We don't how the eight died or if they even had a name. However, it was the 1800s no hospitals or doctors. Children were born in the home with maybe a midwife who may or may not have trained. However of seven that lived , there two sisters and five brothers two of which were my grandfathers. My great aunt Margherita Tillona married her first cousin Carlo Mannuzza. My grandmother's brother Vito married Teresa Mannuzza.

Now for the Falcones I'm related on both sides. My great aunt Francesca Tillona's daughter Vincenza married Matteo Falcone. My great aunt Vincenza Benintende married Filippo Falcone and their son Vincenzo Falcone married his first cousin Dionysia Benintende. We were also related to a Francesca Di Matino unsure how, but I remember meeting her and her husband. There was a Di Pietro we can't remember his first name, but he married the daughter of my great aunt Margherita, Marietta Mannuzza. Also did you know that in Italy women never took their husbands's name, but retained their own. I know I've mentioned my grandparents, paternal grandfather married Vincenza Coniglione either a first or second cousin. Ok I thing I've covered most of the names you mentioned and a few you didn't know, I guess it's food for thought.

Oh, I almost forgot there was a Salvatore Mannuzza who was a portrait painter, he painted practically everyone in the town. He didn't become famous, he never went outside the town. We have family portraits one of my great grandmother Antonia Mannuzza which my sister has and the one I have is my grandmother Francesca Benintende's uncle, Father Thomas, a Franciscan Monk. Of course all these people are long gone, so what we have are memories through the stories we heard.

Trisha378
Trisha378

Postby Trisha378 » 13 May 2014, 17:19

[quote="Trisha378"]Hi,

I went over the family tree my sister wrote with my grandfather's help, however, he was 93. He remembered a lot but sometimes he would forget a first name sometimes a last name. Everybody was related in Licodia, either directly by blood or through marriage. Marrying first cousins was more the norm. My grandfathers were brothers, my mother never changed her name. So the Faillas that I'm related to I have this. My maternal great grandmother was Concetta Failla married Francesco Tillona and had five children. My great grandfather's eldest sister Concetta Tillona married Carlo Failla and had two children, Giuseppe and Margherita. Salvatore Failla did live on Elizabeth Street. He worked as tailor for Eagle Clothes a large men's clothing factory. My uncle Thomas F. Tillona was Vice President. Last I know that a family of Faillas that we were related to did move to Australia. That's it for Failla.

I saw the name Mannuzza. My maternal great grandmother Antonia Mannuzza married Gaetano Tillona. Actually they had thirteen children, but seven lived. We don't how the eight who died or if they even had a name. However, it was the 1800s no hospitals or doctors. Children were born in the home with maybe a midwife who may or may not have been trained. However of seven that lived , there were two sisters and five brothers two of which were my grandfathers. My great aunt Margherita Tillona married her first cousin Carlo Mannuzza. My grandmother's brother Vito married Teresa Mannuzza. They had about five or six children

Now for the Falcones I'm related on both sides. My great aunt Francesca Tillona's daughter Vincenza married Matteo Falcone. My great aunt Vincenza Benintende married Filippo Falcone and their son Vincenzo Falcone married his first cousin Dionysia Benintende. We were also related to a Francesca Di Matino unsure how, but I remember meeting her and her husband. There was a Di Pietro we can't remember his first name, but he married the daughter of my great aunt Margherita, Marietta Mannuzza. They had three girls I met the girsl and their husbands also my great aunt Marietta in 1968. Also did you know that in Italy women never took their husbands's name, but retained their own. I know I've mentioned my grandparents, my paternal grandfather married Vincenza Coniglione either a first or second cousin. Ok I think I've covered most of the names you mentioned and a few you didn't know, I guess it's food for thought.

Oh, I almost forgot there was a Salvatore Mannuzza who was a portrait painter, he painted practically everyone in the town. He didn't become famous, he never went outside the town. We have family portraits one of my great grandmother Antonia Mannuzza which my sister has and the one I have is my grandmother Francesca Benintende's uncle, Father Thomas, a Franciscan Monk. Of course all these people are long gone, so what we have are memories through the stories we heard.

Trisha378
Trisha378

Postby Trisha378 » 06 Jun 2014, 02:24

Hi Sabby,

After you responded to my reply on May 9, I visited with my older sister and showed her all the posts. She gave me more information than I had, and on May 11, I decided not to wait till you got back, I sent you a post telling you how I was related to the Failla family and also some other surnames. I just wanted you to know, in case you didn't see them. You can find them under he Di Benedetto and Failla family, but at the very end of all the posts and on the 2nd page.

Trisha378
Trisha378

Postby Trisha378 » 06 Jun 2014, 02:24

Hi Sabby,

After you responded to my reply on May 9, I visited with my older sister and showed her all the posts. She gave me more information than I had, and on May 11, I decided not to wait till you got back, I sent you a post telling you how I was related to the Failla family and also some other surnames. I just wanted you to know, in case you didn't see them. You can find them under he Di Benedetto and Failla family, but at the very end of all the posts and on the 2nd page.

Trisha378
Trisha378

Previous

21 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Return to Italian Genealogy