FREE ACCESS TO THE 1911 ENGLAND & WALES CENSUS

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
daddymuzza
Veteran
Veteran

FREE ACCESS TO THE 1911 ENGLAND & WALES CENSUS

Postby daddymuzza » 12 Jun 2010, 11:32

FREE ACCESS TO THE 1911 ENGLAND & WALES CENSUS!

Findmypast are allowing FREE access to the 1911 Census and ALL the other resources for which you'd normally need a subscription, but only while England are playing in the World Cup.

Their first game is on Saturday 12th June, and the free access will be for 3 hours from 7pm British Summer Time.

England's second game is on Friday 18th June, and the free access will again be for 3 hours from 7pm.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk
if yer no fast yer last !!!

Amatheya

Re: FREE ACCESS TO THE 1911 ENGLAND & WALES CENSUS

Postby Amatheya » 12 Jun 2010, 12:14

Great, thanks for sharing although on Sat 12/06/2010 match of the day live is at 2.30 so I think the free trial starts at 2pm???

But I'm not a football lover so I may well be wrong.

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 12 Jun 2010, 12:27

Thanks for sharing. While one of the only English ancestors I have came to the US in 1680 (on my father's side, my mother is Italian), my surname is English, and it's interesting to see where it was at the time.

carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Postby carolinechurch » 12 Jun 2010, 21:01

I got up early especially, and the site is slower than dial up - obviously demand had exceeded expectation.
Definitely worth trying though, as their transcriptions often bring up totally different results to ancestry.com.
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.

daddymuzza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby daddymuzza » 12 Jun 2010, 23:41

Yes I agree connection was pretty poor probably due to demand but i did manage to download 17 good images packed with clues re family tree

So roll on the next England game ....... the same result (score wise) would be a further bonus

carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Postby carolinechurch » 13 Jun 2010, 00:18

Good work!
That's the big disadvantage for me in living on the upside-down end of the planet - the timing is not good. Getting up at 6.30 on a freezing cold Sunday morning groggy and disoriented and unable to think what I need to find, then finding nothing.... sets one up for a grumpy day...
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.

daddymuzza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby daddymuzza » 17 Jun 2010, 09:21

FREE ACCESS TO THE 1911 ENGLAND & WALES CENSUS!

Findmypast are allowing FREE access to the 1911 Census and ALL the other resources for which you'd normally need a subscription, but only while England are playing in the World Cup.

England's next game is on Friday 18th June, and the free access will be for any continuous 90 minute period you choose between 9am on Friday morning and 9am on Saturday morning (so by my calculations you'd need to start by 7.30am on Saturday if you wanted to get your full 90 minutes). These are all London times, so you need to adjust them to your local time - see below for some examples.

Unless England qualify for the next stages of the competition their last game will be on Wednesday 23rd June, and I am expecting that findmypast will have the same arrangement as for the match on Friday. But check this page for the latest news, just in case.

Time differences - North America

New York is 5 hours behind London, and California is 8 hours behind. Thus the free access will begin and end at 4am if you are on the East Coast, and 1am if you are on the West Coast. This means that wherever you are in mainland North America you can choose anytime on Friday morning, afternoon, or evening.

Time differences - Australia and New Zealand

If you are in Australia or New Zealand you are almost half a day ahead of London. This means that for most of you the offer will start on Friday evening and end on Saturday evening. For example, Auckland is 11 hours ahead, so the offer will start at 8pm on Friday, and end 8pm on Saturday. Sydney is 9 hours ahead, so the offer will start and end at 6pm. In Perth, which is only 7 hours ahead of London the offer will run from 4pm Friday to 4pm Saturday.

carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Postby carolinechurch » 17 Jun 2010, 09:44

I'll be there again.
According to someone on another forum, she contacted Findmypast to express her disappointment at how slow it was and they plan to improve the situation for future dates, so it doesn't become overloaded.
I don't know how, maybe more elves on the treadmill?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”