Salvatore J Varca (John Varca) Arrived in NY in 1897

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
luisvarca
Rookie
Rookie

Salvatore J Varca (John Varca) Arrived in NY in 1897

Postby luisvarca » 14 Jun 2010, 06:28

Hello,

I am desperatly trying to trace my family line futher. Sadly we have very very little information.

Thanks to everyone for help so far. Here is the correct and update info. Guiseppe is not my ancestor, all this is confirmed, we just need to know what city in italy he came from so I can find his birth certificate (Salvatore J Varca)

Thanks to everyone here for the motivation, and help. With the help of some more family digging and records we have CONFIRMED new information. Guiseppe is not related to us.

hOutstanding. Thanks to everyone here for the motivation, and help. With the help of some more family digging and records we have CONFIRMED new information. Guiseppe is not related to us.

here is the complete line, what I need now is to find where our first ancestor came from in Italy. I need to be able to acquire his birth certificate which will require a birth city.

THIS INFORMATION CAN FROM THE 1930 USA CENSUS. My Father Confirmed it, he knew his aunts, uncles, Grandfather - all the names match, this is it. This is from the cenus, I don't know if the date he got here is right, but everything else is. Here is the shot of the cenus.

Salvatore J Varca - From Italy. Arrived in 1897 from Italy. Born in Italy. Parents M-Italia, F- Italian. Married Catherine at age 23. Catherine is from Italian/German descent and born in New York. The lived in the KINGS, NY district. SALVATORE J VARCA OFFICIAL BIRTH DATE: 27 Apr 1888 he died in Jan 1964. HIS USA SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER WAS: 065-10-8242.
He is known on several documents as "John Varca".

They had the following children: Catherine, Lilian, Louis, Elaeanor, Dorothy, Teresa, Salvatore.

There son Salvatore Varca is my grandfather. He was born in NY but grew up in NY. He died in Keyport, NJ. His grave stone can be seen here. His actual dates are April 1, 1930 - April 1, 1971 but the grave stone says April 5. My father says thats wrong. HE IS LISTED ON THE GRAVESTONE AS "JOHN S. VARCA JR". He should have a military service record.

We are fairly certain Salvatore J Varca and Catherine married in 1911. They celebrated their 50th anniversary in New Jersey (Keyport area) and are listed as "Mr and Mrs. John Varca". Here is the original newspaper clipping.

We assumed because he lived in kings, NY he came through Ellis Island in 1897. Yet, I can't find any record of him on a shop manifest. Is it possible he came through another port? I'd like to know how he got here.

So now that just leaves the question, how do we locate the town where John Varca (Salvatore J. Varca) came from in Italy....

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Varca, Guiseppe Arrived in USA Sep 12, 1896 from Havre

Postby pink67 » 14 Jun 2010, 06:49

Welcome to the forum Luis!

Do you know Giuseppe's wife's name?
Can you give us the approx. birth year of Giuseppe's child?

Laura

luisvarca
Rookie
Rookie

Postby luisvarca » 14 Jun 2010, 06:53

pink67 thank you for the reply. I have literally exhausted all information sources I have. My family line sadly is very short, not many are left in a state in which I can question.

From the best we know......

Giuseppe may have married Maria. We aren't sure.

John Salvitore Varca may have married Catherine.

Guiseppe got to the USA when he was 23. So I estimate, it probably took him a few years to meet his wife and have a kid. So i'd guess the birth year of Guiseppe's child, John was between 1898 and 1910.

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 14 Jun 2010, 06:57

and you father Louis varca was born on?

Laura :D

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 14 Jun 2010, 06:58

Oh.. sorry your father Louis Varca was Joseph's grandson.... I understood He was Giuseppe's son... sorry...
Let me see if I'm able to find something...

Laura

luisvarca
Rookie
Rookie

Postby luisvarca » 14 Jun 2010, 07:01

Thank you Laura. Yes my father Louis Varca is not Guiseppe's son. Guiseppe's son was John Salvitore Varca.

Based on Guiseppe's age, etc.... I guess it was 1898-1910 when John was born.

I have been at this search for a while and someone lead me here. I really am emotional about this and want to find my family so bad. Years ago our family line from italy tried to contact us, all information is lost on that. (Due to family member lost).

I really just, want to figure this out! It's so hard, someone sent me to these forums.

I really appreciater your time......

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 14 Jun 2010, 07:14

You're welcome Louis!

just for references, the 1896 arrival manifest for Giuseppe Varca, age 23...
Let me say that considering the lastnames of the persons travelling with him looks like they were coming from the north of Italy...
Varca, Robotti, Montrucchio are present in the Piedmont region...

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0712

Laura

luisvarca
Rookie
Rookie

Postby luisvarca » 14 Jun 2010, 07:18

pink67 thank you! A great starting point. If I can find what area he is from, I can definently do the work to contact Italians with the same last name in the area, hoping they can help. From my experience, Italians (in italy) are very friendly. They tried to reach out to us once, if we can find them I know they will help! I Can do the work to find them I just need a starting point.

The north is good........ now I just need some more info.

I will keep my hopes high! Thanks so much so far pink!

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 14 Jun 2010, 07:24

You can check this free site to find eventually the marriage of Giuseppe Varca or his death dates:

http://www.italiangen.org/VRECLIST.stm

Laura

luisvarca
Rookie
Rookie

Postby luisvarca » 14 Jun 2010, 07:31

Thanks Laura! I will start there.

I have also found this based on your suggestion of the Piemont region in Northern Italy.......

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... &om=0&be=0

Lists of all with surname Varca.
They seem to be mainly concentrated in Turin (Torino)

I am debating if I should send letters and see if any would be willing to help or what.

luisvarca
Rookie
Rookie

Postby luisvarca » 14 Jun 2010, 07:43

Laura that page you provided me is amazing. I may have found some more helpful info. We already suspected Guiseppie married a girl named Maria.

In the marriage records on that link I found this:
Varca Giuseppe Jun 20 1915 Manhattan 14481 V620
B: Cattone Maria Jun 20 1915 Manhattan 14481 C350

If that is correct, he married Maria Cattone on June 20 of 1915. That would make him 42 when he married. That seems a little old for marriage though.

The ellis island records say he was 23 when he arrived. They also have his name spelt, Guiseppe ..... the marriage records say Guiseppe. Maybe the marriage record isn't him?

How common are mispellings?

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 14 Jun 2010, 07:45

luisvarca wrote:The ellis island records say he was 23 when he arrived. They also have his name spelt, Guiseppie..... the marriage records say Guiseppe. Maybe the marriage record isn't him?

How common are mispellings?

Guiseppie is not an Italian name (or name, period). Giuseppe would be the correct name, and anything else is misspelled.

luisvarca
Rookie
Rookie

Postby luisvarca » 14 Jun 2010, 07:55

Squigy thank you. What I meant to type is the ellis island ship records have it listed as, "Guiseppe Varca".

Of course I have not ever found or heard of a single person named "Guiseppe" so I am assuming its mean to be "Giuseppe" and they messed it up when writing it.

They also say his age was 23.

So according to that .... assuming the ship manifest mis-spelt his name, and my info is correct....

Giuseppe Varca married Maria Cattone in Manhattan on June 20, 1915. Giuseppe would have been 42... when he married.

The age is based on the ellis island records. They say he was 23 when he arrived in 1896. So 1896 - 23 means he was born in 1873. Which means 1915 - 1873 = 42. That seems a little old to marry. I wonder....

Gosh! I really wish I could track more details down!

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 14 Jun 2010, 08:06

luisvarca wrote:Squigy thank you. What I meant to type is the ellis island ship records have it listed as, "Guiseppe Varca".

Of course I have not ever found or heard of a single person named "Guiseppe" so I am assuming its mean to be "Giuseppe" and they messed it up when writing it.

They also say his age was 23.

So according to that .... assuming the ship manifest mis-spelt his name, and my info is correct....

Giuseppe Varca married Maria Cattone in Manhattan on June 20, 1915. Giuseppe would have been 42... when he married.

The age is based on the ellis island records. They say he was 23 when he arrived in 1896. So 1896 - 23 means he was born in 1873. Which means 1915 - 1873 = 42. That seems a little old to marry. I wonder....

Gosh! I really wish I could track more details down!

Same thing. It's a common misspelling.

Also, I thought this census would interest you.

Name: John Varca
Home in 1920: Manhattan Assembly District 3, New York, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's name: Maria
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1897
[1899]
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John Varca 45
Maria Varca 38
Mary Varca 19
Joseph Varca 17
Cofina Varca 12
Louis Varca 10

View
Original
Record

View original image

Image:
http://img99.imageshack.us/f/varca.jpg/

Giuseppe is usually translated Joseph, but this is still probably him.

Notice his daughter was born in 1901. If this census is the correct family, the marriage record is not.

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 14 Jun 2010, 08:10

Also, a 1900 Census:

Name: John Varca
Home in 1900: Manhattan, New York, New York
Birth Date: Nov 1874
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1896